So Much For Swearing Off El Cheapos

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

So Much For Swearing Off El Cheapos

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 am

Lawdy, I just sold off a couple swearing I was through with pre-War mail order catalog guitars. But it is like the things have some kind of power over me and get into my head saying take me home.

So two more have taken up residence with me - a 1930s Harmony-made Supertone and something called a Granada. The Supertone is everything you would expect of an old Harmony - boxy sounding with a thin upper end and not a ton of volume. But miracle of miracles the neck is fine and it is perfectly playable. On top of that it came with its original back loading case and little instruction booklet (which is dated 1927). No pics so will leave it for another day..

But the Grenada - now that is what I am talking about. All birch with a nice burst. Don't have a clue who made it but everything about it says Regal. But this thing is loud and full and round sounding. To put it to the test I dropped it into G tuning and hit Jorma's Water Song. Even with an inky neck and high action, every note rang out clear. Just a real punchy sound to it. I swear this thing sounds better than any Gibson LG-1 I have ever gotten my hands on. The guitar proved to be just a freakin' pleasant surprise. As the bridge is good and thick its a good candidate for shaving to get the guitar a bit more playable.

If anybody has ever heard of Granda I would sure appreciate ya letting me in on it.

Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: So Much For Swearing Off El Cheapos

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 am

Grenada, I think Elvis used to bust those over peoples heads in the movies.
Nah, they're too sturdy, stunt men would get hurt.

I think the reason those survive so long is because they use a tailpiece, that don't warp the body like a conventional bridge.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Grenada, I think Elvis used to bust those over peoples heads in the movies.
Nah, they're too sturdy, stunt men would get hurt.

Ah, man, ya got me laughing so hard I have coffee coming out of my nose.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Wow!
Thanks!
You made my day!
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby gaucho » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Don't know about the Grenada, but I scored a beautiful 1920's Supertone (made by Harmony for Sears) not too long ago. Neck is nice and straight and it has a great sound. I'm with you, I love those vintage catalogue parlor guitars!

This site is a great spot for info on them:
http://vintageparlorguitars.com/
Email the guy a photo and he can probably tell you all about it. Keni Lee Burgess is a great source of info on them as well.
gaucho
Regular

Return to Guitar