NEW Gretsch G9201 Honey Dipper

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: NEW Gretsch G9201 Honey Dipper

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 am

I'll have to check out the Trading Musician. As for the others, I never make it down to Kent or Bellevue. I have heard good things about Guitarville, but I've never been there. I still need to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 pm

So speaking of these Seattle guitar stores, I just popped into American Music in Fremont a couple hours ago and they actually had one of these new Gretsch resos. Both metal and wood body. EXCELLENT projection. Thin neck but with a nice sharp V shape. I'm a fat neck kinda guy, but I got along fine with the Gretsch neck. Fretwork and finish was top quality. The fretboard was a little dry, but other than that it was a great guitar. I'd consider buying one if I was in the market for a new metal bodied reso. The tone and projection was awesome.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Interesting that they've combined a 12 fret neck with a a 14 fret body shape. That would really suit me as I've always had problems keeping a shiney 12 fretter on my knee without using the classical position, despite what others have said about it in this forum.
Johnny DobroBoy wrote:Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but I am wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with the new line of Gretsch Resonator Guitars. Here's the link: http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2717010000 If I had the cash I would pick one up, I'm considering either this or a republic duolian... :)
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 am

[quote="kiwiblues"]Interesting that they've combined a 12 fret neck with a a 14 fret body shape. That would really suit me as I've always had problems keeping a shiney 12 fretter on my knee without using the classical position, despite what others have said about it in this forum.

How did you determine that it is a 14 fret body shape, Kiwi? I've had my Republic triolian (steel body, 12 fret) for several months now and am still not sure which thigh is more comfortable to rest the guitar on. I'm in "classical" atm with the neck angled up quite steeply, which I like because it brings the nut closer on the 12 fret. It does mean slightly more flexing of the wrist when playing right down in first position and it means I am not using the palm rest covering the bridge, but when playing with the guitar resting on my right thigh, as you suggest, the guitar has the tendency to slip back and it also moves the fretboard down and back. I presume this has been thrashed out in previous threads, but I just wondered how you spotted the difference in body shape on this new Gretsch? :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey Kiwi, the Gretsch body, to me, seems to be somewhere in between the 12 fret and 14 fret body shape. The lower bout was a bit big but with a tighter upper bout. I found it was easier to hold in the classical position due to the heavy body wanting to slide down my leg.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 pm

I haven't given it any technical analysis but I've always assumed it's due to the less pronounced waist in the 12 fret bodies that make them more prone to sliding off the knee.
I see no reason to continue that old body shape other than to make the guitars look more traditional. It probably has a subtle effect on sound which some may prefer.
If I ever bought another national it would be a 14 fretter bacause of the body shape alone.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Johnny DobroBoy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 pm

I haven't been able to get back to a computer lately.I have done some research Lefty and ricbleu, and I believe that this body shape is actually an old regal design. I have seen Bottleneck John playing old chicago made regals that look a lot like the Honeydipper and the Bobcat. Someone might need to fact check me here, because all of my research was done impromtu! lol :mrgreen:
Johnny DobroBoy
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:45 am

Thanks, JD. I haven't measured it but my Republic triolian is pretty much the equivalent of a 00 flattop. I have a Tanglewood 00 and because it's a 14 fret guitar, it sits nicely on my RH thigh but if it was a 12 fretter, it would feel more comfortable on the LH. My triolian definitely feels more comfortable in "classical". And since you mention his august name, Bottleneck John seems always to play his resos "classical". I wonder how many resos he owns. C'mon BJ,own up. How many? :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar