Learning Slide Guitar -After 50+ yrs as a guitarist of sorts

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Learning Slide Guitar -After 50+ yrs as a guitarist of sorts

Postby Les R Forgue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Last month my daughter steered me to a 2 hour training session by Eric Noden about John Lee Hooker’s Open G Tuning.
There was no slide playing going on in that session, BUT when I took home that Open G Tuning and decided to try (for the zillionth time) putting a slide on my finger, I quickly starting hearing something I liked.
I had tried open E with the slide quite a few times over the years, but could never get much I liked out of the slide in open E,
except for stuff like Rolled and Tumbled, or Elmore’s signature rifts.
But the open G opened a door so to speak.
I plan to record something and post it here at BRB, if my slide work ever progresses to where I would want to hold it up and say Look Here Y'all.

I can’t find my shiny steel slide I paid over $12 for,
so I been using a section of copper pipe, which turned my finger green until I washed the slide inside and out with CLR, that lost the greening effect.
I know it is the fad nowadays to go green, but I reckon I’ll find other ways to go green than to sport a green finger.
In the past I’ve used aluminum conduit but couldn’t get it perfectly smooth all the way around, and it doesn’t ring so nice as the copper and certainly not as good as the shiny steel.
Les R Forgue
Regular

Re: Learning Slide Guitar -After 50+ yrs as a guitarist of s

Postby TC6969 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:53 pm

You didn't mention what kind of guitar you are using, but I got good results using a thick glass slide that Dunlop puts out.

Its a little bit heavy for a light strung electric but it works great for acoustic.
TC6969
Regular

Postby Les R Forgue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:33 pm

It is an f hole arch top acoustic upon the soundboard of which I have glued a pickup for amplification.
The guitar may be seen and heard here:
http://vimeo.com/33174814

Thanks for your reply.
Les R Forgue
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Best wishes Les! I'd buy one of Ian Diamond's slides just to get the artwork, lol! Have fun with it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:40 pm

It's interesting how some tunings open your mind up, so to speak. I've played slide almost since I first started playing as a kid. Open D or E never did much for me and I almost always played in standard tuning. A couple years back, I started playing lap style and started playing in "Hawaiian G". That got me playing around with bottleneck in "Spanish G", but for some reason, it didn't click.

I went back to open D on the round neck. One night, I took a new view of open D and Spanish G and I realized that (key aside) Spanish G was Open D moved up a string and the fifth added on the lowest string. (D: Root, 5th, Root, Maj. 3rd, Fifth, Root G: Fifth, Root, Fifth, Root, Maj 3rd, Fifth.) In other words, you can play the same patterns that you do in Spanish G in Open D (or Open E) just one string lower. WHen I started to see the similarities, it really opened things up for me. I can't say I've really mastered either one, but the common ground makes it a lot easier to work with both.

Glad you found something that works for you.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby RedRooster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:38 am

Les R Forgue wrote:Last month my daughter steered me to a 2 hour training session by Eric Noden about John Lee Hooker’s Open G Tuning.
There was no slide playing going on in that session, BUT when I took home that Open G Tuning and decided to try (for the zillionth time) putting a slide on my finger, I quickly starting hearing something I liked.

I hear you. Taught myself how to play slide with a cheap steel slide on an open D tuning about 10+ years ago. I think it was that old Budweiser ad that inspired me. But it was only about 3 months ago that I tried experimenting with other tunings and I now LOVE open G. Sounds so sweet for slide. I had a three day haze where I kind of made up a bunch of licks that felt so right. It's also great for a lot of Stones stuff. Honky Tonk Women, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar are all in open G. So I've been experimenting with my own bluesier versions incorporating slide. If you fancy a really nice sounding comfortable slide, try the Rockslide (like they say, much more than just a piece of pipe!).
RedRooster
Regular

Postby Honeyboy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Don't forget to raise the action on your slide playing guitar a little. That makes all the difference for cleaner notes and less fret rattle.

Have fun!

Rick Honeyboy Hart
Honeyboy
Regular

Postby Dee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Hey, nice video, Les!

Ha, a, I know the feeling of getting nervous when recording a video, I still do! Isn't it strange? No probs on stage, no probs playing at home, no probs playing in front of friends, but as soon as the cam is running, I become a complete guitar idiot, making mistakes I usually don't make and I need ten takes to get the video done, ha ha ha.

Compared to me you did a fantastic job, Les!
Dee
Regular

Return to Guitar