Rogue Spider vs Triolian

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Rogue Spider vs Triolian

Postby Cbeati2 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:37 am

I think that if I spent more time improving my playing ability instead of searching for the guitar that was going to fill the void that my playing creates then I would be much better off. I found out a long time ago that buying an American Standard Strat does not turn me me into anything close to SRV, and that it takes hard work to make progress. Finding that instrument that will keep you working on your skills despite minimal returns is also hard (and often hard on those within ear-shot too), so I am just looking for something fun to play and not too abrasive for those around as I work out the kinks. Cheers, and thanks for all the opinions and recommendations.
Cbeati2
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun May 20, 2012 2:47 am

I don't disagree that the blues can be played on many types of instruments Ricbleu. No offense meant, I didn't intend to rile you or ruffle your feathers. If it sonded that way then I apoligize. I only meant that often, a new player is looking for a certain sound. The instrument probalbly won't make me a more skilled player or teach me lics but if I want a zztop sound and I buy a dreadnaught I'll probably be disappointed, even though it may be a great guitar, on which I can still play some style of blues or for that matter other genres.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 am

NEONMOONY wrote: No offense meant, I didn't intend to rile you or ruffle your feathers.
None taken Neon, all is well. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon May 21, 2012 8:18 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:...if I want a zztop sound and I buy a dreadnaught I'll probably be disappointed...

I think "LaGrange" might sound pretty good on a D28 :)

Kidding aside, there is a balance between chops and gear. A fancy guitar or a new piece of gear may not make you play better, but the improved sound or playability my inspire you to woodshed more. The majority of my practice time is on a seriously beat up backpacker with a plunking tone just this side of a ukelele. The action is awful. Anytime pick up anything else, I love how much better I sound.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue May 29, 2012 12:06 pm

I have the Rogue triolian and I am pretty happy with the sound-its loud and bluesy.
The factory action is fine for slide and heavy strings bring out a whole new sound. I have it tuned to open d. It gets played out a lot because it looks cool and its cheap enuff that its not a closet queen-yet looks like all the other resos out there for the most part so the audience doesn't know if its a 100 guitar or a 1000 dollar guitar
My only issues are the neck is thinner than I prefer and the intonation of the low E string on fretted notes is a bit sharp but I just tune it a little flat so I can get a decent boogie rhythm-I like cheap guitars
All in all its a great 150 dollar investment and I play the hell out of it
goldbrick
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed May 30, 2012 3:54 am

Have you come to a decision, Cbeati2? As I have already mentioned, I bought a steel bodied, biscuit bridge triolian from Republic and am very happy with the sound for my pure blues or blues based style (btw if you look on YouTube at Rory Gallagher playing live "Too much Alcohol", then that is the sound I can get from my guitar). But I just remembered that a couple of years ago whilst still wrestling with reso-gas, I tried at a local music shop, an Epiphone Hound Dog, a spider bridged, wood bodied Dobro and remember thinking how "un-reso" it sounded. It seemed very mild and lacked that serious "down home and dirty" sound that I can get from my steel body. I put the mildness down to it being a wood body which would give it a more mellow sound rather than the spider bridge. So anyway, what have you decided? :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Cbeati2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:35 am

ricbleu wrote:Have you come to a decision, Cbeati2? As I have already mentioned, I bought a steel bodied, biscuit bridge triolian from Republic and am very happy with the sound for my pure blues or blues based style (btw if you look on YouTube at Rory Gallagher playing live "Too much Alcohol", then that is the sound I can get from my guitar). But I just remembered that a couple of years ago whilst still wrestling with reso-gas, I tried at a local music shop, an Epiphone Hound Dog, a spider bridged, wood bodied Dobro and remember thinking how "un-reso" it sounded. It seemed very mild and lacked that serious "down home and dirty" sound that I can get from my steel body. I put the mildness down to it being a wood body which would give it a more mellow sound rather than the spider bridge. So anyway, what have you decided? :D Peace

I did buy the Brass bodied Rogue as I mentioned at the start and have been quite happy with it...happy enough to not crave another resonator for a while as it has filled my needs. I notice the Rogue Triolian is on sale now and it caught my eye, so I revisited the Triolian/Spider convo we had here. Sorry for not replying...I need to come back here much more often as I wasn't aware of your question. :oops: The answer...I haven't decided. Recently I have begun to realize how bad I am at making decisions...or not making them I guess is a better way of putting it.

"Rory Gallagher playing live "Too much Alcohol", then that is the sound I can get from my guitar" -->That sure is sweet...great purchase!

Thanks goldbrick...I might go that route...thinking loud and bluesy, yet a bit mellower than my Brass bodied Rogue for that change of tone. Looking at the Resos at Rondo music too but the seem to be all spider bridges...and shipping is $100 up to Alberta, Canada. I have heard good things about Rondo, and my son bought an electric from there and it is a beauty.
Cbeati2
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar