Rogue Spider vs Triolian

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Rogue Spider/Triolian - which is more bluesy

Postby Cbeati2 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi. I am looking for a cheap reso with more of a bluesy tone (not so much of a banjo sound) and am wondering if anyone has experience with comparing the tone of the Rogue Spider and the Rogue Triolian. I don't have physical access to them or course so am hoping someone has and can give their opinions. The reviews for the Spider appear to be better than the Triolain, yet some some reason I am pulled to the Triolian, probably due to the looks of it (which is a poor reason to purchase a guitar me thinks). I am aware the china made Rogues might not sound as good, and will have blemishes or other issues, but from a tonal standpoint how do they compare? I tried to compare using the videos in this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11152&p=106065&hilit=rogue+triolian#p106065 but still not sure.

Thanks.
Cbeati2
Regular

Rogue Spider vs Triolian

Postby Cbeati2 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to play these entry level resonators and compare them side-by-side. I am curious as to which one has more of a bluesy sound and which is more banjo like...looking at picking up the more bluesy one of the two. Thanks!
Cbeati2
Regular

Re: Rogue Spider vs Triolian

Postby kiwiblues » Wed May 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Cbeati2 wrote:Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to play these entry level resonators and compare them side-by-side. I am curious as to which one has more of a bluesy sound and which is more banjo like...looking at picking up the more bluesy one of the two. Thanks!

Go for the spider if you want to stay away from the banjo sound. Far more sustain and more versatile. :D
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu May 17, 2012 12:27 am

A biscuit resonator, rather thank a spider, may be more of the blues sound you seek. There a cheap chinese bisuit as well as spiders. Spiders are great too, but mostly I think they have more of the country slide tone.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu May 17, 2012 2:55 am

NEONMOONY wrote:A biscuit resonator, rather thank a spider, may be more of the blues sound you seek. There a cheap chinese bisuit as well as spiders. Spiders are great too, but mostly I think they have more of the country slide tone.

It's a personal thing.
Watch some reso players on Youtube and see which sound you prefer.
For example compare Clapton playing "Walking Blues" or "Rambling on my mind" on a Spider bridged reso compared to blues played on steel or brass resos which are mostly biscuit coned.
If you like haunting blues like Ry Cooder Paris Texas go for the spider if you like percussive blues like Son House go for a biscuit.
Or be like me and buy one of each! :lol: :roll: :idea:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Cbeati2 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 am

Thanks for the replies. Haha, yeah I was thinking of buying one of each but also was looking at the Rogue Classic Brass body too, and my wife probably wouldn't appreciate me picking up three resonators. The spider seems to have better reviews, quality wise, but the Triolian just seems to appeal to me more, looks wise, as if that should have much to do with it. Maybe if I am looking at picking up the classic brass reso I should be looking at the spider for more of a separation of tones. I'll play those examples you provided to see if I can come to some decision.

Thanks again for your input!
Cbeati2
Regular

Postby s1120 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Its a personal choice... but ive always felt the the spiders gave a more county like sound. Maybe its just the tuning people use also though. I perfer the biscut bridge single cones, but I fear thats the banjoy sound you are talking about. In that case I would look to the tricone. A little more mild tone then the single cone, but still bluesy.
s1120
Regular

Postby gaucho » Fri May 18, 2012 12:32 am

I have biscuits (a Doulian, a Style 0), a spider (USA made Dobro) and a Tricone. It's definitely a personal choice. For blues, I far prefer the biscuits. If you are seriously considering buying 2 or 3, my advice would be to figure out what you like and just buy one, well set-up mid price rage instrument like a Hot Rod, Michael Messer/Busker or maybe a Republic. There are tons of You Tube videos (including the one by Bottleneck John in another post on this forum) that compare all styles directly.
gaucho
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 pm

When I think blues, I think biscuit or tricone. When I think country and "banjo-ish" sounds, I think spider. YMMV.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat May 19, 2012 2:45 am

You've also got to consider metal body and/or wood body. Either biscuit spider will give you different tonal qualities with bodies of different material. Now I fear that I'm about to expose myself to abuse and ridicule but the blues isn't about what the guitar sounds like, but what sounds you create on your guitar. It's like the old arguments about single coil vs humbuckers, glass or brass or something else for bottleneck slides for getting "the authentic blues sound". I'm new to slide & bottleneck but I've been a blues player for most of my playing days. I have recently purchased a Republic steel bodied triolian and there is nothing about that guitar which inhibits my expressing the blues. That's not much help to the OP, I realise, so fwiw, I would approach either spider or biscuit bridges with equal confidence. They will sound different for sure but played from the heart, the blues will always sound like the blues. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Cbeati2 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:29 am

"They will sound different for sure but played from the heart, the blues will always sound like the blues"

Yeah, maybe that's why I am having such a hard time deciding, as the you-tube videos, etc, all sound so good on either guitar, when played by an experienced player who knows how to pull that out of the instrument.
Cbeati2
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat May 19, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah, I agree. It's hard when you can't get a hands on appraisal of the instrument and have to rely on the opinion of others. I think you've done right in checking in here. I spent months surfing round the net until I had enough information and the confidence to make my move. It was the comments and exchange of views of forum members that turned me in the direction of Republic - not the rock bottom cheapest option, but with a good reputation and reasonable prices, it seemed a safer bet, and I could not be happier. Anyway my level of expertise doesn't require a top shelf instrument - or to put it the other way round, a top shelf instrument wouldn't improve my playing by the same degree. And I couldn't afford it anyway. Good luck with your search. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat May 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Those are nice catchy little sayings, but, we all buy instruments and equipment with certain sound goals. IF you want to make, for example, a good, dirty Chicago Blues sound, you're not going to get it on a spider resonator unless you cut a whole in it, slap a pickup in and push it through an overdriven amp. (Which I have done BTW, Dremel's are wonderful tools.). I have a National tricone that I love to pieces but I'm not going to get good surf tones out of it no matter how much heart I put into it. If you seek a certain sound that's in your head, it is best to research what kind of instruments generally achieve that sound. You will smile every time you strum that instrument. Roy Rogers, who plays some blues, plays several intruments because they give him different sounds that he seeks to achieve.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat May 19, 2012 9:34 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:(Which I have done BTW, Dremel's are wonderful tools.)

They are wonderful, aren't they? I've got a Tele neck pickup mounted in the coverplate of my reso. It sounds raunchy.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat May 19, 2012 11:16 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:Those are nice catchy little sayings, but,....
Well I certainly didn't intend to add to the lexicon of "nice catchy little sayings..." . My sole purpose was to encourage the OP that the blues can be played on a wide variety of instruments. But these are the sort of exchanges that can lead to ruffled feathers and wasted words and I want none of that. So I'll leave Neonmoony to play his blues on his instruments while I play my blues on mine. Oh and I'll repeat "good luck with your search" to Cbeati2. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar