Ray and Drown In My Own Tears

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

RE: Ray and Drown In My Own Tears

Postby doc williamson » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:10 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-05 AT 11:12 AM (EST)]>I looked this up on Google as I've always wonder what it
>was.
>
>A mint julep is a mix drink:
>
>"A 'mint julep' is a alcoholic drink, the classic mint julep
>as made in Kentucky, starts with a chilled silver mug or
>goblet filled with crushed ice. Dissolve 1 lump of sugar in
>a little water, fill with bourbon, add the dissolved sugar
>and stir well. Place 4 or 5 sprigs of fresh mint down into
>the ice."

I knew a Mint Julep was a mixed drink and is the tradtional drink at The Kentucky Derby. Kind of like the Hurricane mixed drink is associated with Pat O'Brien's and New Orleans. I just was wondering why the instrumental is titled that.

>Looks like the song was actually written and recorded first
>by a band called The Clovers in 1952. So in fact, Ray
>covered the song.

Now, this I didn't know. Thanks Brad.
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby j_tour » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:54 pm

This is a great topic and a great pop tune -- I'm bumping it up with a question. I love to play this tune, usually once in a great while sitting at home, in a very bad mood which this particular tune seems to put me out of, but I've never properly worked out the changes from the original record. I don't know why -- probably because the tune seems to work with my faked chords (don't ask me which -- I can't figure it out without sitting in front of a piano) -- but I've never actually worked out the whole deal, including passing chords, from Ray's arrangement.

Has anyone got a set of chords they use for the tune that match up with Ray's part? I may answer my own question (if I do, I'll post my results) in part by doing a transcription from either the original or James Booker's solo piano version on the "King of the New Orleans Pianists" album (very faithful to the original changes, from what I remember hearing), but I'd be interested in knowing how others play this one.

Cheers,

John.
j_tour
Regular

Postby fred » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:29 pm

I don't have a recording; I'm strictly a beginner, but I believe BRC prefaced a lot of his tunes w/V+. So, from memory (I'll use key of C)--help me out BRBers--Start w/G+, then C, G+, C, C7, F, F#dim7, C, A7, D7, G7, C7, F7, C, G+, repeat w/verses & work out bridge from progression. I just can't get all the song in my head, but maybe this will get you started! Fred
fred
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fred » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:13 am

Opps! I may have veered off on the progression for BR's A Fool for You! Another goooood soulful tune to sing/play!
fred
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fred » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:26 am

found the chords @ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com. Key of D--uses a iii, vi, & ii7 instead of the straight dom7's I included in 1st post.
fred
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:02 pm

>Mike, Db and C# are the same keys.
Technically speaking, they are not, but they of course sound the same.
Later,it's time to make some music
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:05 pm

>Technically speaking, they are not, but they of course sound
>the same.

In equal temperament, that is.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:16 pm

DB and Dr. Ric you both must be pianists and not piano players. This mental masturbation talk of Db and C# probably has some kind of merit as a footnote in Music Theory but personally I would much rather hear a piano player play some blues in that/those one/two keys. See, you got me talking crazy now. That key has a dark heavy vibe for a song.

Someone here on BRB has a quote on his tag line that fits this Db/C# thing very appropriately, "Play it?...Just hit the damn thing."

http://www.DocWilliamson.com

"I chose to sing the blues." Ray Charles
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:55 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-05 AT 07:15 PM (EST)]Hi Fred ~ Thank you for posting that website. I looked up "Drown In My Own Tears" and just played the chords as notated. Some of those chords posted are dead wrong but it looks like a guitar player wrote it out so the incorrect chords come as no surprise. Much of what he wrote out can be useful but the quick inversion/cascading chords that Ray used between vocal lines are omitted and they are so very important on this song for the feel (but that would be hard to notate). Other chords are left out completely.

This probably is a correct chord chart for a guitar player who leans heavily on a piano player and can't even figure out what the piano is doing so the guitar stops and then picks back up again when the piano hits a chord the guitar player finally knows.

doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:13 pm

My previous two posts on this thread have probably been the harshest and most judgmental posts I have ever posted here on BRB. No smiley faces or anything. I take Ray Charles and his songs too seriously and personally and that is the way it is. I am sorry if this offends anyone.

Secondly, if you want to discuss the difference between Db/C#, Gb/F#, Eb/D#, Ab/G#, Bb/A# please start a new thread titled "Music Theory & Masturbation" but please don't soil a thread titled "Ray and Drown In My Own Tears."

Truthfully, I would like to know (technically speaking) the difference in those keys (notes) but the only reason I can think of is because the key signature on sheet music is notated that way. If there is another reason I would like to know. I know only a little about piano playing and sight reading but am willing to learn more and would be thankful for the help.

I don't think there is such a notation as Fb/E, Cb/B but would be interested to know if there is.

doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby j_tour » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:46 pm

Just to bump this up -- I transcribed Ray's piano part on the original record *and* James Booker's solo piano take (in C) about a month ago or so. The chords I've got are basically the ones listed above, with some of the passing chords that are really crucial; as soon as I decide the best way to put it into text mode, and figure out the "correct" way of spelling the chords from a theoretical POV, I'll put them up for reference and/or critique.

The chord voicings lay real nice in Db, which is a pretty nice key to play blues in (much better than B or something, for me). I'm sure you all figured that out years ago, but it's my new "toy" I'm still enjoying playing with.
j_tour
Regular

Postby papatex » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:07 am

Yep, D flat is nice, but I personally prefer C#. ;-) (The devil
made me do it!!)
papatex
Regular

Previous

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard