PLEASE, ALL ACOUSTIC SLIDE PLAYERS!

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

PLEASE, ALL ACOUSTIC SLIDE PLAYERS!

Postby mikk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 pm

I have a request, and an offer- If you love the sound of the slide guitar, especially acoustically, you'll understand. I started watching the show "Firefly", I found the DVD's just last year, the show was cancelled years ago. In it, a spaceship 9 people, in the future, that use Western-Cowboy type dialogue, have many smuggling adventures. I loved the show, but even MORE, I LOVED THE MUSIC.
Much of it was "cues", short, 30-second pieces of acoustic slide guitar, other instruments. I had never heard a MORE AUTHENTIC Western/Cowboy/Country slide sound. The guitar players were a studio guy Craig Stull, and a lap steel player named Sonny Rhodes. The composer was Greg Edmonson.
I know that these may not be giant names, in the world of acoustic slide Country Blues, but these "cues" are some of the coolest licks, not so much for technical ability, but for FEEL, and atmosphere! I hope I'm making sense, to you guys- that sound- that "out-on-the-plains", or "danger behind that cactus", or even "sittin' on Miss Ellie's porch" type of Slide country-western sound, is the one I have ALWAYS wanted to nail.

If I'm making any sense at all, can any of y'all point me to some song titles, or better yet TAB, of these types of songs, any guys you know, who play that type of atmospheric "Western/Cowboy/Country slide sound" ? I have listened to Paris, Texas, and a few other albums. Ry Cooder is fantastic. So are the Classic masters, like Robt Johnson, Elmore James, Son House, etc. But as I say, I'm looking for that ONE TYPE of Western/Country Acoustic Slide sound. I have sheet music, tab, of ALL those guys, Ry, Robert, Elmore, and dozens more. And I will TRADE ANYONE ANYTHING I HAVE, if they can point me to this type of music, better yet, tab, of this type music.
Thanks for your time, a Fellow Slide Lover, mikk --- luapsel58@yahoo.com
mikk
Regular

Re: PLEASE, ALL ACOUSTIC SLIDE PLAYERS!

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:33 am

Don't have any tabs, but listen to the music in the background of things like "Dirty Jobs" and you'll hear lots of terrific stuff like you're talking about.

And Sonny Rhodes is a well known name to lap sliders. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby mikk » Wed May 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi, everybody!

It's been a while since I've been on this site, but i was wondering, STILL, if anyone can point me to some tab, or lessons, book, DVD, that will teach me to play these type of "Country-Blues" type of acoustic/dobro slide licks, that Sonny rhodes plays in these "cues" from this show.
As I said, I'd really apprecate any help, I'll pay for some tab of these "cues", or trade any tabs for other stuff- I have a roomful!....Is there anyone out there, who could TRANSCRIBE these licks, from these "cues" and intros?...Ther are all about 15-30 seconds long, and they are just made up of one or two licks, played over open striongs, sounds like-
If I even knew WHAT TUNING, HE WAS USING, IT WOULD HELP! - It would at LEAST be a starting point!
Thanks, guys- I hope one of you can help me!
mikk (luapsel58@yahoo.com)
mikk
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 am

I always liked Ry doing this one...
tinsmith
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs