Selling Guitars Is Hard

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Selling Guitars Is Hard

Postby bottleneck » Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 am

i think i have somewhere around 23 guitars.i'm not sure if that counts banjo/bouzouki/mandolin as guitars.

i found last time i moved that i felt i had too many.i have about nine tube amps and a few solid states.i don't need all this stuff.

i am not some rich person,i am a musician(read:poor)but i kept accumulating stuff,because i'm old.nothing i had seemed worth any money so it built up.now some of that crap is worth some money.

but ,THE ONLY TIME I SOLD A GUITAR ,i was sorry.i sold it to a friend ,he put a few bucks into fixing a cracked brace (note to lummo,i am talking about my 12 string from teen-40)and then i heard it from the audience side.i should have kept that guitar.
bottleneck
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Thu May 10, 2012 11:20 am

For the money-can't beat a Squier Strat-just look around for a japanese or korean model as they are more consistent in quality, used ones are inexpensive and hold their value. Don't buy a new one.
You should be able to find a good Korean for $200 and a Jap for a bit closer to $ 300-you can't beat the value. Truthfully , I have always believed that as long as you have a comfortable neck and good intonation -you don't need much more-the amp and your fingers are way more important in the sound chain-I would rather have 3 $ 150 tube amps to get sound variety than a set of $400 custom wound pickups

Most folks don;t realize that SRV did some of his stuff on Tokai * read Jap strats and so did the cat from Sublime. John Mayall has also been a Squier Japan endorser.
They a have a fat Strat with a single humbucker and a double fat strat with two humbuckers.

I just keep the tremolo screwed tight to the body as I don't use a whammy bar
Strats are great for seated playing as your body kinda molds around the guitar without jamming you in the ribs

The price is about $75 too high but here is a good example right here http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-MIJ-Squier-by-Fender-Bullet-Hardtail-with-Hardshell-Case-/170835709166?pt=Guitar&hash=item27c69a0cee
goldbrick
Regular

Postby s1120 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm

OK so if you add in the guitars I picked up for my two kids, I have 6 guitars.... The funny thing is that Im still pretty low on the upword clime learning how to play the dam things!!!!! :oops: But im working on it, and taking lessons, and progressing!! [and thats why I havent got any more!!! Money is going into learning!!] So... that being said... I love working on the things, so they add up. I have my Epi LP that is one of those guitars that jumpped out and grab you and wont let you put it down!! It will take a special guitar to make me sell that!!. I have a Regel resonator... Im realy starting to connect with it, and have been playing just that for the last few months... Will I sell it... Maybe... but not intell I can spring for that national!! I have a lap steel that I built myself. Thats going nowere.... I do have a cheap epi accustic that I got for free, and have spent hours getting it playable! It plays... but to me it has no soal... Thats the first to go, but not till I find a new one... Ive been looking for some old accustic to fix up, but havent found one yet... SO those are my toys. Im thinking of building a tele one day.... and planning a CBG, but I can be happy with my LP, a reso, my Lap steel, and a accustic... so if I sell.... it will be to upgrade.
s1120
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Fri May 11, 2012 4:08 am

bottleneck wrote:nothing i had seemed worth any money so it built up.now some of that crap is worth some money.

That's something I've never been able to understand. I'm quite old too, bottleneck, but I was young once and some crap guitars passed through my hands. But as I improved in technique I sold or traded in and upgraded my instruments. So forty years go by and now the same plywood guitar from my youth would be worth a heap just because it's 40 years old. Made on the cheap, it has magically turned into a 'vintage collector's item'. Well I suppose if a person collects old and badly made guitars in the same way that someone else might collect match boxes, it's fair enough. But the badly made plywood guitar stays the same no matter how old it gets. It's a pity that the same rationale doesn't apply to us humans. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri May 11, 2012 3:33 pm

I've tried to travel relatively lightly - but there's still about eight guitars around the place, that's including a fairly unplayable blue three quarter sized toy.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Mon May 14, 2012 3:15 pm

ricbleu wrote:
bottleneck wrote:nothing i had seemed worth any money so it built up.now some of that crap is worth some money.

That's something I've never been able to understand. I'm quite old too, bottleneck, but I was young once and some crap guitars passed through my hands. But as I improved in technique I sold or traded in and upgraded my instruments. So forty years go by and now the same plywood guitar from my youth would be worth a heap just because it's 40 years old. Made on the cheap, it has magically turned into a 'vintage collector's item'. Well I suppose if a person collects old and badly made guitars in the same way that someone else might collect match boxes, it's fair enough. But the badly made plywood guitar stays the same no matter how old it gets. It's a pity that the same rationale doesn't apply to us humans. :D Peace

i get sentimentally attached to cheap guitars ,that's part of the problem,haha.that's part of it.although not all the guitars i'm talking about are cheap,some just aren't particularly good for bottleneck blues.

it seems the old"if it was budget then,it is budget now"rule has fallen by the wayside.people are paying as much now for old harmony rockets etc as they are paying for premium brands.go figure

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm

That's one good thng about being on the other side of the world. We only get to choose between expensive locally hand made models and the top quality cheaper models mostly made under licence in China.
I am continually amazed at the sound eminating from moderately priced guitars at my local music stores.
Kids these days are so much better off with what they've got to learn on.
As for me, I choose based on playability, tone, projection and appearence. Brand comes last as, with all so called modern branding and advertising, that's where the majority of the bullshit lies! :roll: :lol:
bottleneck wrote:
ricbleu wrote:

i get sentimentally attached to cheap guitars ,that's part of the problem,haha.that's part of it.although not all the guitars i'm talking about are cheap,some just aren't particularly good for bottleneck blues.

it seems the old"if it was budget then,it is budget now"rule has fallen by the wayside.people are paying as much now for old harmony rockets etc as they are paying for premium brands.go figure

http://www.shakeylee.com
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue May 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Many of the cheap guitars were still made by hand with quality materials. Thats why they are still around. Check the latest Gibsons-no finish and " baked maple fretboard " whatever that is. Ceramic magnets in pickups that are way cheaper to produce than Alnico

Of course some of the prices are crazy but then again-they ain;t making any more of em.
What I find crazy is that some one will spend 5-600 dollars for a chinese copy of a Harmony 44 or jimmy Reed thintwin
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue May 15, 2012 7:39 pm

If you're an old fart, you should have acquired some wisdom along the way, and know a chump when you see one, even in the mirror.
You want the best guitar for the lowest price.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat May 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Well the Schmidt Stella be sold and I have a deal ready to be consumated on the little all mahognay May-Bell. I am going to pull back on the Kay Kraft and keep it though as, with the notable exception of a Schmidt Sovereign jumbo, it is the best sounding el cheapo mail order guitar I have come across in some 50 years.

I will probably be second guessing myself on the wisdom of selling the guitars for quite a while. But on the other hand, I have a nice little nest egg now sitting there to go buy another. I don't have many rules but one I do have is money that comes in from guitars goes to other guitars. The hunt is on. Can you say Kalamazoo KG-14?
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby bluestreak » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:03 pm

I have a lot of guitars that i haven't played in years, but I just can't bring myself to sell them. Maybe some day.
bluestreak
Regular

Postby Dee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:10 pm

My advice: live with it! :lol:

We guitarists are crazy and GAS is tempting!

I've been thinking about chosing some to sell and I got no step further than you!! In fact, I already got a new one approaching, it's a Firebird this time. DOH!

Face it, we're doomed! :twisted:

Dee
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar