Selling Guitars Is Hard

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Selling Guitars Is Hard

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 pm

I have been sitting for weeks trying to make up my mind about selling off a few guitars. Everytime I think I have come up with a formula I make the mistake of playing those selected for the chopping block and then I'm right back to where I started. I just got too many of the things - they have taken over every closet and nook and cranny. When I hit five it should have told me I had a budding neurosis. At six, I started thinking maybe I should not have bought the first five but bonded somehow with them. When number 7 showed up it was a clear indication that I just cannot make up my mind. Eight - well, we all know that eight is never enough and I am becoming a likely candidate for one of those hoarding shows.

The ones folks are lined up waiting for me to sell are always the ones I know I ain't letting walk out the door like my 1947 Gibson LG-2. But at this point I am thinking just pick say three of my 1930s catalog guitars that if they go while they will be missed it will not feel like I just lost my left nut something.

So what say ya'll. Aybody got any sage advice. How do you let go of something when logic says its time but emotions say back off jack.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: Selling Guitars Is Hard

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Just my two cents, but if you aren't hurting for money, I see no reason to sell them. If you have any sort of doubt about selling any guitar, that means it's a keeper. I used to have nine guitars and a couple ukes at one point. I'm down to four playable guitars and one that needs repairs. I had to sell them all because I was hurtin for money and I regret selling all of them. So keep em, unless you need to sell them.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun May 06, 2012 6:34 pm

I do not need the cash and selling certain guitars has certainly ranked right up there with some of the worst mistakes I have ever made. But I gotta confess here, part of it is if I dump a few I have a ready made rationalization for buying more.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun May 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Right now I got 5 on eBay.
2, were intended for selling, one is sold, (HURRAY)!
3, I want to keep, but I owe my brothers money they loaned me, after I broke my clavicle and couldn't work.
It's time to show my appreciation, and pay them what's due.

Really, it's like dieting, you decide how many.
Me, I know I only have time to play 2 guitars regularly, so that's all I need.
More will just collect dust.
I collect sounds not classics, (sorry, not relevant).

Next fall, I'll buy some damaged guitars, fix em, play em, and sell some of them.
Selling stuff is just as fun, as buying stuff.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby gaucho » Sun May 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Trading stuff is even more fun!
gaucho
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun May 06, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm at 6, if you count the seriously beat up backpacker.

I think the Off-shore Dobro Hound dog deluxe roundneck wouldn't be missed. It could probably make way for something that would get played more. Since I got a tricone, it just collects dust. I guess my though process is "If it can be replaced and it's not getting played, it should go." So if it has value, either sentimental or collectable, it can stay.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 am

I try to keep to one guitar for each purpose and I don't like having overlaps ie two or more that do the same job. That still gives me quite a range from flat top steel string, classical/nylon string, resonator, acoustic lap steel Weissenborn teardrop style (I made that one) and an electric lap steel (made that one also), a bass guitar (acoustic) which I only own because I record music and need a bass. My only 'oops' :oops: is a twelve string which I bought on impulse and regretted it by the time I got home. I sometimes play it, but not enough to warrent it being there. Then of course everyone needs an electric, so I've got one of those as well. Trouble is, once you've bought a guitar that doesn't meld with the team, you loose so much money on it (if its not a vintage). Such is the case with my 12 string - it could be sold as new but I won't get 2/3 of what I paid for it. I also lost heaps on my Epi L00 when I upgraded. Oh well, such is the price we pay for being enthusiastic, curious and creative. But in my book, that's what it's all about. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon May 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:But I gotta confess here, part of it is if I dump a few I have a ready made rationalization for buying more.

That's a worthy trade off. May I suggest one thing? If you aren't hurtin for money and could afford a couple new ones (albeit, if only temporarily) then find a couple new keepers, then sell some of your older ones after the fact to recoup the cost. That way you don't accidentally offload a good one for something that may just be subpar. Just more of my two cents. 8)
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Sure is hard, I've got four at the moment National Style O, Goldtone Spider cutaway, Larrivee dreadnought and a Takamine New Yorker, all for different things.
But I've got my eye on a Guild 47R which could replace both of the accoustics.
I've probably had about 10 guitars total on my life but really there is only one I wish I hadn't sold.

You could use the method I use for shirts.
After I've washed them I hang them on one end of the rack. My popular ones rarely make it to the mddle before being worn.
The unpopular ones make their way down to the other end of the rack where they ultimately end up going to someone who needs them more than I do. :cry:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Mark Schrier » Tue May 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Well, I've been building steel string guitars for the last couple of years and a handful of tenor ukes before that. Guitars numbers 4 & 5, a version of a Gibson L-00 and a Ditson Grand Concert, are currently on the bench.

Friends ask if I have sold any yet. I just look at them and say, "uh no". I guess I may have to break down and do that eventually, or at least give some away, before I rum out of storage space!

Mark
Mark Schrier
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed May 09, 2012 2:21 am

Before I joined this forum, I could have lived with just two guitars - my steel string Larrivee L03R and my nylon La Patrie parlour. But once I got dem ole slidin' blues in ma blood.... :mrgreen: so now it's lap steel and the Republic triolian (discounted for some reason) which are getting all the playing time. I have to discipline myself to spend time on the flattops - same with the electric which I have to work out on from time to time to keep my licks from getting buried (so painstakingly ripped off from Buddy, BB, Pete Green etc 40 something years ago). :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Has anyone considered how the poor guitar feels????
Always the same ones, passed from pillar to post, never the chance to settle down, always out of tune... Born the wrong side of the tracks, and sold from a mail order catalogue. What sort of start is that? Where are the opportunities? No wonder they hit the bottle!!!
The Breeze
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm

I always have stuff coming and going. Had 4 strats on ebay 3 sold but then found a deal on another one so bought a new old guitar..

As a rule for me guitars with p90's and teles rarely get sold.
The only guitars I really collect are Jap squier Bullets-i love the crap out of those things
I also like bluesy cheap acoustics and resos for busking and Danelectros and Sivertones really give me a woody. So do paiste cymbals from the 60's and thin shell snare drums from the same period-they just sound righteous

Luckily pretty Les Pauls and PRS do nothing for me

I also like redheads with green eyes and mujeres mala con pelo largo y ojos negro
But I can't afford to collect them :evil:
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 pm

So Goldbrick,
I should try a Squire Strat?
Never had a Strat per say.
Discovered I prefer humbuckers, and I got no use for whamo bars.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 am

There's plenty of ways to block a tremolo if you don't use it. Everyone needs a Strat, at least once. But I'm in the camp that believes Leo got it right the first time. :mrgreen:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar