New (for me) -slide rig

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New (for me) -slide rig

Postby goldbrick » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Rogue reso with piezo pikup and Epi electar tube amp
Whole shebang was about $200 bucks
Once I but some heavy electric strings on this thing sounds great in open E with a glass slide. will probably try it for Saturday's gigImage
goldbrick
Regular

Re: New (for me) -slide rig

Postby tinsmith » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:46 am

Very cool......heavy strings eh?

Hmm, I recall doing that to my cheapo reso & it almost killed it.......11's sound great with a thumbpick......
So, what I'm saying is, don't count out a thinner string...
tinsmith
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 am

I put 12s (with a 14 e) on my Republic triolian and she sparkles. Frank sends them out with 13s tuned to D so I thought it would be ok, and so it has proven. Looks a good axe, Goldie. That's a wood body I see, isn't it? Should be able to get some mellow tones out of her as well. I wouldn't mind adding a wood bodied reso to the fleet for the wood tones, but I don't think I'll be able to get there. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 am

Hi Tin,
I got 12-52s on there and they should be ok. Anything much thinner has a buzz. I am using a dunlop glass or light brass slide and it seems pretty good. Its been quite a while since I had a reso and I am digging this one even if the 12 fret body is making me think more,
I thought at first I wanted a metal body guitar but the wood just suited me better. My only complaint is that neck is kinda thin. I like a fat tele type neck and this is more 60's Gibson profile

I really wanted a parlor size but this is a decent compromise-Its funny -I have been playing in open e solid for about a month now and it feels really weird to play in standard tuning.
as long as i can fret the 1 ,iii,lv, v and iv chords I am good to go

Its funny-playing some harp has really taught me that you can imply chords without all the notes and they can sound pretty good in context
goldbrick
Regular

Postby ludashoeless » Tue May 29, 2012 8:25 pm

oh no... now i want resonator... :D
ludashoeless
Regular

Return to Guitar