Long shot: anyone live in the Albany, NY mid-'70's?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Long shot: anyone live in the Albany, NY mid-'70's?

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Here's a long shot, but I figure it's worth a shot: I lived in the Albany, NY in the Mid-1970's. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's radio station, WRPI was a station I listened to a lot, as it was the only alternative to mainstream C & W and Top 40. Every afternoon they had "The Rideboard", where they read through a list of people looking for or looking to share rides. In the background was an instrumental blues tune played played on solo bottleneck guitar. It sounded a little like Ry Cooder, but I've never know the name of the tune or heard it since. Anyone happen to remember what this tune was?
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: Long shot: anyone live in the Albany, NY mid-'70's?

Postby s1120 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:50 pm

WOW... too many cobwebs to brush aside there!! I did, and do live in the aera, and remeber it... but thats all I have. Sorry. I was more the QBK type of guy also... back when they played alternative [before the term was called that] rock in the late 70's early 80's.
s1120
Regular

Re: Long shot: anyone live in the Albany, NY mid-'70's?

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Well, at least you know what I'm talking about.

It's funny you mention alternative, because I did't really listen to as much the last year I lived there ('77-'78), because a lot of the DJ's were playing more "alternative" stuff like talking heads, television, Jonathan Richman, etc.. I wasn't very open to that stuff at the time. WRPI was a total mish-mash of musical styles, but I guess that's typical of college stations. Sometimes it was awesome, sometimes I changed the station. Thanks for the reply.
Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Talking Blues