My 1st reso guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

My 1st reso guitar

Postby socket wrench » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:50 am

So after many years of ummiing and arring and disliking the sound, then liking it, I finally had the oppertunity to buy a reso. I'd been looking around seeing what would be the best, and read the posts on this forum. Living in Finland there's not much chance of going and trying a guitar out before buying it.

I checked out the Republic guitars and noticed that they had a Clasic Biscuit reso on discount, as they were stopping that model. It took me about a month to decide if I wanted to chance it or not, but in the end it was too good a deal to miss. And luckily I did buy it as I got the last one. I'm glad I did, as there is nothing wrong with it. Well made, good sound, great price.

So I have now joiuned the reso family..... and I'm sure I'll be putting questions to you wise old ones about it :D

socket wrench
Regular

Re: My 1st reso guitar

Postby s1120 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Very cool!!! I love mine. [a Regal] Its fun to brake out and play.. has a sound all its own.
s1120
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Nice
tinsmith
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:30 pm

Congrats Socket Wrench! Nice axe too. Nothin' like a new instrument to inspire ya' for a while.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Welcome to "Reso-Nation"!
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 am

Well done, SW. I followed the same path as you - yes I will, no I won't, yes I will, no I won't, for some months until I decided, yes I will. And I have not regretted it for one second. I already played lap slide fairly well so rotating the fretboard through 90 degrees and bottlenecking from the other side is taking a bit of work to become sufficiently confident to play in public, but it's really fun learning. Mine is a steel bodied triolian in a greeny/bronzy sunburst and came tuned to D with 13s on, so after checking both here and with Frank, I went for 12s (with a 13 for top e) and tuned to open E. I hope you find your guitar is as enjoyable to play as I do mine. It has wide range of tones from singing mellow to dynamite explosive, and with a long, long sustain. Are you getting the impression that I too am a reso convert? Sure am. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm pretty green as guitar players go, pissed around all my life but never learned a thing. I even built with the help of a serious luthier from the Twelfth Fret in Toronto a strat replica that plays and sounds as good as any authentic strat. That "homemade" guitar got me hooked and lead to buying a Republic Tricone which lead to buying an old Harmony Stella online. Still not much of a player but I can entertain myself and friends I play every day and am well on my way to having all the basics for playing many of the blues standards. It was the reso that really grabbed me, it just makes sounds that connect with my internal sense of music.

I intend to get another Republic Hwy 61 model for the single cone sound. I too have been hooked by the reso sound....in fact I've learned so much more since getting that first one than ever before. It is my go to guitar the others are almost relegated to decoration status.

It's corny to say but once you play tin the rest is a sin. :roll: :roll: :roll: :wha:
Disciple
Regular

Return to Guitar