Drum Lesson #1, Shuffle Pattern…

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Drum Lesson #1, Shuffle Pattern…

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Woh, humbling… :oops:
So yes, I'm a bass player, learned guitar (my way), now I'm learning drums.
Easy to play along with recordings, hard to do time with a metronome.
Feels good for a while, then it slowly becomes impossible to keep on the metronome. :?
A client gave me an entry level drum kit that was collecting dust, and getting in the way. I tried to say no, but it was a free bee. :wink:
This is my second go round with lesson #1, couple years ago I thought I had it down, so I moved on to something else.
But I forgot it all, so here I am again.

How many of you guitar players out there, can sit in on drums?

Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Re: Drum Lesson #1, Shuffle Pattern…

Postby jeffl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Oh yeah, I can sit in on drums! Can't everybody? :lol:
Our praise band drummer butchered a shuffle beat during an offertory tune yesterday. That brought back alotta memories. I've found that alotta rock drummers can't play shuffles.

Our jam group kicked a drummer out a coupla years ago and I've missed him ever since. His attitude could get negative and produce crappy remarks, but the guy had a good jazz background and could pick up the beat on any tune you'd throw out there. I've played with him a few times since and I still love his catalogue of beats, but there's no way he's ever comin' back to our group-- and it's mutual by now.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:29 am

Silly guy, didn't do his home work. :?
It's all in the snare drum.
My intention is to be able to play drums, bass and guitar on my recordings.
Have you done that Jeff?
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Hurricane » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 am

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Woh, humbling… :oops:
So yes, I'm a bass player, learned guitar (my way), now I'm learning drums.
Easy to play along with recordings, hard to do time with a metronome.
Feels good for a while, then it slowly becomes impossible to keep on the metronome. :?
A client gave me an entry level drum kit that was collecting dust, and getting in the way. I tried to say no, but it was a free bee. :wink:
This is my second go round with lesson #1, couple years ago I thought I had it down, so I moved on to something else.
But I forgot it all, so here I am again.

How many of you guitar players out there, can sit in on drums?

Bill

========================================

I do , started about all my life ago heh heh . A pocket man I am no frills or fancy fill just straight time in the pocket . I have a Old Pearl set that has a few mixed pieces and I just found a Sonar set in a " Thrift Store " that's pretty beat up but in good shape over all especially the high hat stand and cymbals .

Bottom line about playing drums is that is is like dancing and I am a ( or was heh heh ) a dancing fool . It's kind of easy sitting there marking time . A shuffle is not to hard on me but if your talking a :

" Double Shuffle "Pattern

where you play a triplet on the 2 and 4 with the second beat of that triplet omitted on the snare as your kicking a solid kick on the 1 and 3 of the beat it gets a little testy for me at times .

I am getting free heads on my drums too from a drummer who lost his kit and wants to play with me so what a deal , he gets to play a set of drums and I get free drum heads :)

Easy man :

Hurricane Ramon
Hurricane
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Yea, it's the variations that get confusing. :?: :?:
I had the basic pattern down, then I got some of the variations mastered.
But when I tried to go back to basic 1, it all turned into mud… :roll:
Some of the variations I'll never get.
Thank goodness the book lets us off the hook with this: “Experiment with different combinations, until you find what works for you.” :wink:
Deep.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:42 pm

I've screwed around on drums, but frankly, I try not to spread myself too thin. I've been playin' harp for decades and there's still tons of stuff I haven't mastered, and I gotta play keyboards on about 15% of our tunes.. and that's more than I can handle. I'm not bein' humble; I'm just not talented enough to do all these things well.
The problem I have with drums is you can't "mail it in". You gotta focus so hard on those things, whereas when I'm playin' harp things come much more naturally. If I'm not focussing I can still sound decent and occasionally sound great. On keyboards I have to be careful not to try to do more than I'm capable of and jus' stick to the stuff I've practiced. My improvisational stuff on boards can get outa hand quickly :D .

I'm just thankful that my harp playin' is adequate enough to allow me to play with the best local blues guys. That's all I need to play regularly and have fun.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Drums are a lot of fun and something I'd really like to be able to spend more time working on. In the year that I've been messing with them, my guitar playing has improved quite a bit rhythmically. As far as being able to sit in on drums...well...I could on something dead simple, but I wouldn't want to bring the rest of the band down that far.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm

guitarslim101 wrote:Drums are a lot of fun and something I'd really like to be able to spend more time working on. In the year that I've been messing with them, my guitar playing has improved quite a bit rhythmically.
So true, me too. :wink:
I'm sure you can communicate with a drummer much better now too.
Not enough time to become proficient at drums as well, but it is fun.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Yep, I do have a better drum vocabulary now. I do still like to describe beats as onomatopoeias, though.

"Hey, give me a buh-duh-duh-dum, buh-duh-duh-shhhh here"
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 pm

The most humbling instructional video I have is: Ginger Baker Master Drum Technique.
As he demonstrates paradiddles and mummy-daddy drum patterns, with detailed variations in 16 and 32nd notes…
I'm humbled and awestruck.
My favorite drummer of all time.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 pm

I've occasionally wondered how Ginger Baker would've sounded with more musicians around him, i.e., a bigger band. It seemed like his drumming was tailored to that sparse "Acid Rock" sound, where he could use some types of fills that you wouldn't do with more instruments.
I love him too, partly due to the fact that I was in high school and college during his "reign"... alotta fun times to link that music to.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Not so different, except yes a different role.
Back in the day when I was a teen, I was playing Blind Faith on my record player. My Mom & Dad heard Baker's long drum solo (Do What You Like), and they said, “Who is that? It sounds just like Gene Krupa.”
Then they went on about, what the big bands were like, including Gene Krupa's band. They must have seen them all, but never talked about those days, and considered that kid stuff, to be left behind and forgotten. My Dad seemed to think it was all silly.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:44 am

Ginger Baker is my favorite too. Stolen lots of his licks over the years.
He did play with bigger groups-especially his African stuff that I love.

I play lots of different shuffles but the important thing is to really accent the one with the bass pedal ( Boom -ba -ba ba- Boom ba-ba-ba-Boom etc) . If you don't it can sound more like a dotted eighth jazz pattern

I think it works best with sloshy hi hats and a rattly snare drum to get a lot of ambient noise going on after the accented beats.
listen to Odie Payne with Elmore James- He really had it down

When I play straight blues gigs as just a duo or trio-I only use a snare ,hi hat and bass and maybe a splash to keep it real heavy and basic
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:44 am

Hey Goldbrick,
What took you so long to chime in?
Thanks for those shuffle tips.
Funny, when I work on drums, my guitars get dusty.
Do you loosen the snare skins too, make it bassy?
Or do you want a good crack?
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:17 am

I let the snares get a little looser than I woud for rock and like a wooden snare for the resonance. I dont change the head tuning. If I want a fatter back beat I just use the butt of the stick . I use a wooden beater on the bass to get that thunk

Best shuffle to start with is kinda like a country cut beat boom-bap, boom-bap
Sing big boss man and it should fall into place.

I know my shuffles work when you see the old ladies start dancing
Doesn't get better or simpler than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd-o_kLONVI&feature=related
goldbrick
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar