Dam my Voice!

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Dam my Voice!

Postby greenstone » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:08 am

Piano solo is beautiful... but I would like very much to add my voice to it... now, I know the blues isn't always supposed to be perfectly in tone and tecnical... but my voice is really quite off!

Do you think there's anything to do? I mean, it would be nice to sing along... by the way, DOES anyone of you sing while playing?!
greenstone
Regular

RE: Dam my Voice!

Postby nizer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:03 pm

Well, if it's THAT bad... maybe you really shouldn't sing.

JK! There was a documentary made here in Canada years ago around the time of "We Are The World". The Canadian stars - Joni Mitchell, Anne Murray, Neil Young, etc. - gathered to make our version called "Tears Are Not Enough". The sessions were produced by former-canuk-now-big-in-LA pop producer David Foster who's done Chicago, Celine Dionne, Barbara Streisand, etc. There is great scene in the film after Neil Young records his part in the studio. Foster says, "That was great Neil, myaybe we could do one more take - you were a bit flat there". Neil turns and looks at him with those glowering eyes and says, "That's my style, man".

To try to be helpful, I have been learning some keyboard with a nifty little Yamaha. I don't know what styles you like, but I've found that Louisiana / New Orleans style easy and fun. Songs like Wilbert Harrison's "Kansas City" and Smiley Lewis' "I Hear You Knockin'" are easy to play AND sing.
nizer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:25 am

I've never liked Neil Young.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:50 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-05 AT 08:51 PM (EST)] There is great scene in the film after Neil
>Young records his part in the studio. Foster says, "That was
>great Neil, myaybe we could do one more take - you were a
>bit flat there". Neil turns and looks at him with those
>glowering eyes and says, "That's my style, man".

That's why I've always liked Neil Young. He's one of my voval heores, along with Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan. You should see the looks I get from "real" singers when I tell them that.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:52 pm

>Piano solo is beautiful... but I would like very much to add
>my voice to it... now, I know the blues isn't always
>supposed to be perfectly in tone and tecnical... but my
>voice is really quite off!
>
>Do you think there's anything to do? I mean, it would be
>nice to sing along... by the way, DOES anyone of you sing
>while playing?!

Vocal Coach Doc is here to help you with professional advice:

1) Start chain smoking NOW! Cigarettes are OK but never Lights. Smoke and DEEPLY inhale cigars for best results. Weed is OK too. The more you smoke the more your voice will have that elusive smoky tone you are after.

2) GARGLE alcohol! Yes, that's right. For that whiskey soaked voice gargle whiskey. For the gin soaked voice gargle gin. Swallowing is up to you. Now, this is true; when I have done too many gigs without resting my voice I gargle Peppermint Schnapps. It not only anesthetizes my vocal chords but also leaves my breath minty fresh.

BTW ~ Yes, I do sing and play the piano at the same time. I don't let many hear this anymore but if you really want to hear the results of steps one and two as outlined above go to:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=226974

The quality of your vocals are in the ears of the beholder.

http://www.DocWilliamson.com

"I chose to sing the blues." Ray Charles
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard