Speaking Of Slides

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Speaking Of Slides

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Jake, thanks for the nice comments. I had really hoped to be able to do slide with the cut away, but another company has a patent on that. I don't understand patent laws but an angular cut doesn't seem to be a patentable concept. Oh well.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Patented: Really? Both Diamond and the "Tone dome" have it. Maybe it's licensed? (Or maybe I just go someone in trouble.)
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby diamond » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi Jake ~ the 'cut' patent is owned by 'The RockSlide' company (there's a whole page on their website about this) - but it's only applicable to U.S companies. As we're an English business it doesn't apply to us ~ we can add notch-cuts to our products over here and sell into the U.S marketplace, but we couldn't do this if we were based in the U.S.....if any other U.S based slide company attempts to sell 'notched' slides.....good luck :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:29 pm

I've played around with various "notch" cuts, but the bottom line is I can't come up with anything that wouldn't end up in a patent infringement case. On my personal slide, I have a notch cut, but I wouldn't attempt to sell one with it. Seems sort of silly, but then again, rules is rules. I did one cut that might get by, but I'm to poor to hire a patent attorney to see if it would fly. Such is life.

I want to thank Ian again for reminding me of that patent, as I was about to really step in it. At the same time I wonder if I made the slides without the cut, then sold one and advised the end buyer of what to do if I would be pushing the limits.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby diamond » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 pm

When the above company requested us to cease offering the 'notch-cut' option on our slides back in '05 because of this "patent infringement", we did seek the help of our factory legal guy. He checked the statement on their website & yes, the U.S patent is indeed 'owned and paid for'....all legal.

No-one can stop a U.S slide company actually adding a 'notch-cut' to a slide - plenty have done so - but you can't visibly offer this addition on any U.S website as part of a legitimate sale! Legally, you can offer a 'notch-cut' as an after-sales option, but you must have proof that you have not made any monetary profit from the addition of this option, and never state in writing that a 'notch-cut' is available on your products for money!!

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby Neal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:57 am

Speaking of notch cut...

I had the good fortune of finding Ian in a good frame of mind with an "Ultimate", in my size, with a small, very small chip. It was a notch cut, and it was surprisingly inexpensive. Green. Love green.

Anyway...I always thought the notch went toward the palm, playing with the little finger, to allow for more ease in the bend. But it is most beneficial playing with the notch inside against the ring finger for me. Though I'm not sure it should be called a notch, perhaps a "dip"? Maybe "Comfort Cut" or...gad ferbid.. "Kumfert Kut"..... :lol:
Neal
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 am

I can claim to have played slide for a long time, but it comes down to: I played slide a lot, a loong time ago. More recently, I started playing slide again and started being more "analytic" about it (I know, defeats the whole purpose). With that long winded disclaimer out of the way: My personal opinion: I think the "notch" works best on a short slide that fits really tight on the finger for playing standard tuning or open G (DGDGBG) where you only need to cover 5 strings max and you want a lot of finger "freedom". Just my not so humble opinion.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby diamond » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 pm

I first came across the 'notch-cut' back in the late '90's, being offered by the late Chris Ramay of 'Winin' Boy' bottlenecks. The reason Chris added a 'notch' was to stop the bottleneck turning around on your finger and allowing the seam to come into contact with the strings. This 'notch' originally curved over the webbing between pinky & ring finger to act as a 'brake'....sounds like this is how you wear your 'Ultimate' Neal :wink: I'm in agreement with Jake here ~ 'notch-cuts' are a nice addition, but work best for sliders who prefer a short slide (not 'full length) and stand up to play.

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:37 pm

It's remarkable how many more options there are now. When I played a lot, back in the '70's and '80's, there wasn't much thought put into slides. There were some manufactured ones, but most weren't anything special. You could get the bottle cutting kit and make your own and pill bottles were made of glass then, which was my choice. I had a socket wrench, some coriceden bottles and a brass slide that I closed the top off my stuffing a penny in the end that worked pretty well.

Some of the things I liked back then for playing slide on electric don't give the volume and tone I'd like on Reso, so I'm back to a lot of experimenting. The 12 ga barrel works well (and adds significantly to the novelty factor). I am looking forward to trying a diamond once it's ready. I do wish I still had the bottle cutting kit. Part of the fun of bottleneck is experimenting. And it's a lot cheaper trying and collecting slides than it is guitars.
Jakeblues
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar