P/U for a Tricone? Sugestions

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

P/U for a Tricone? Sugestions

Postby Jakeblues » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I did a preliminary search and was surprised Fishman didn't make (or I can't find it) something for a tricone. I'd like to keep it as true to the guitar's natural tone as possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: P/U for a Tricone? Sugestions

Postby Disciple » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm

From what I can find online the way to go hands down is a Highlander specifically designed for Tricones. It is based on a condenser microphone and is apparently the truest sound.

Electro magnetic pick ups essentially just convert your Tricone into a typical electric guitar by virtue of the fact that they don't amplify the actual sound but rather react to string vibration like in all other magnetic pick up guitars. You can recapture some of the Tricone sound using effects but its not as clear or faithful as a microphone or the Highlander pick up which is essentially a microphone inside the sound well under your bridge centered in between the cones.

Expensive by comparison but I'm convinced worth it.
Disciple
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:16 pm

I think Schatten still makes a PU called the TC, works as well as any piezo based pickup. I've used it and it really got the cone tone. Mixed with a microphone it'll sound great and give a good volume/feedback ratio..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby Neal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Disciple wrote:
Electro magnetic pick ups essentially just convert your Tricone into a typical electric guitar by virtue of the fact that they don't amplify the actual sound but rather react to string vibration like in all other magnetic pick up guitars. You can recapture some of the Tricone sound using effects but its not as clear or faithful as a microphone or the Highlander pick up which is essentially a microphone inside the sound well under your bridge centered in between the cones.

Expensive by comparison but I'm convinced worth it.

This is really not quite right. I use the Flatbucker as well as National's new slimline on 3 Nationals, tricone included. They sound quite natural, yet a microphone would be closer. Chris Whitley used magnetic pickups, and there's no mistaking what he's playing. Sure doesn't sound like a Les Paul... The trick with these is they also sense some of the body as well as the strings, according to National.

I use Mags in all my flattops as well, but prefer the LR Baggs M-1 or the Takamine TriAx over the Fishman RE for precisely that reason, body sensing. Tap the pickup, you'll hear it thru the amps.

If you're playing solo at even volumes, +1 on the Highlander, if in a band at louder specs, I'd highly recommend a National Slimline. Feedback resistant, true sound.
Neal
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:29 pm

"yet a microphone would be closer."

I might not understand the dynamics entirely of magnetic pick ups but the quote above pretty much says the same thing as what Highlander pick ups claim. I think the subtleties of these coned guitars are best reproduced through microphone technology. Regardless of how close you can get with other types the microphone or microphone pick up seems to be the most faithful from all reports.

That is my point despite perhaps being slightly or even completely wrong regarding magnetic pick ups.
Disciple
Regular

Postby Neal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:14 am

It's cool, microphone would be the most natural, of course. Just bothers me that folks think a mag pickup will make your flat top or resonator sound like an electric guitar. No, they won't. You may have to fiddle with the eq a bit more, but very nice and natural sounds are to be had.

Perhaps SOME will, but the ones I've mentioned, and have used, will not.
Neal
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:38 am

I have put several pickups in resonators. I have used slim lines, highlander, SD Rails and couple others. The Highlander type pickups may be the truest, next to just mic'n it, however they do come with other problems inherent to mic type pickups particularly if you play at volumes.

Magnetic pickups may not be the "truest" sound to some but they still can deliver some excellent sounds that are unmistakably resonator. I have a couple that, though maybe not exactly like a mic'd version, audiences love em and they sound bad ass.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby michaelm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 am

I've got a Republic squareneck Tricone with a National Slimline pickup on it and it sounds good at low to moderate volume. No argument from me that that sounds cool, but I think to get the 'True Tricone Sound', a mic is needed. If you don't want to be tied to sitting in front of a mic and stand, it shouldn't be too hard to mount a mic directly on the guitar. With the T-Bridge cover, the lattice grids above and the tailpiece below, there are lots of potential mic bracket mounting spots. I haven't used any, but I've seen some mic brackets advertised that clamp on the lower bout of the body of the guitar. In the past, I've mounted a small mic to the cover plate on a spider-bridge squareneck. Then there are all sorts of brackets over there in the drummer's world that might be adapted for something like this. HTH.
michaelm
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for all the input. I guess it really depends on what I'm going to use it for. I'm sure that EQ'ing can help shape the sounds, to some degree. Given the potential expense, and the bigger expense if I get it wrong, I'll probably just listen for a while and get a better sense of what I'd be comfortable with.

Thanks again!
Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Guitar