Help! Starter keyboard

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

RE: Help! Starter keyboard

Postby blues4u2go » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:39 pm

Again, thanks for your posts. Just as an FYI, I finally ordered a keyboard this morning, a Yamaha DGX-205, 76 keys, touch sensitive keyboard, Yamaha Education Suite software, etc. So I doubled my original target price of $150 and paid $300 with shipping. I don't doubt that paying more will be evident in what we're getting. I don't think this is a toy. Anyway, this should be good enough to get my daughter started with lessons (and me on the side).

Now if I can just learn some Champion Jack Dupree, Dr. John, Professor Longhair, etc I'll be all set . . .

Mike
blues4u2go
Regular

Postby nizer » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:51 pm

Great Blues4u2go, let us know when you get it. Like I said, that gumbo stuff is easy to learn (in C that is) and a blast!
nizer
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:55 pm

Oh yeah, here is a handy little online tool I used that got me up to speed fast. You can easily find any piano chord or scale:

http://www.8notes.com/resources/notefinders/piano.asp
nizer
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:51 pm

I guess I was busy when this thread came up because I don't see one post from me. The original poster has come and gone but I have really come to enjoy Nizer's posts along with the regulars.

Here is a way to take the digital edge off of a stage piano. I play a Yamaha P120 and love the piano sounds but I really want more of an old upright piano sound like in an old juke joint or on Memphis Slim or Otis Spann records. A couple of months ago I got a 1969 Fender Twin Reverb chassis and still plan to have the three minor mods made to take it back to Leo's original specs and have cabs built, etc.

Two weeks ago, because I was working in my new music store (not open yet) but word has spread and I am buying some great gear. Anyway, this guy brings in a Fender 135 Tube PA system. The amp section and tubes are almost identical to a Fender Twin Reverb but the transformers are larger and this has 135 watts of power and four channels. The columns are black tolex with white "wings" extending from the grill cloth and at an angle out about 8" to meet the front of the cab and each column has 3 - 10" Fender Blue "Special Design" speakers. I'm guessing it is early 1970s.

I experimented with it and took it to a jam I host. I ran my piano through one channel with both cabs leaning at an angle against the wall. I cranked the Master Volume to 8 to let the tubes breathe and set my volume at 1 1/2 with the Bass and Treble Controls set at flat. Man, what a sound! Nice and warm and not so brittle. I added the delay on my P120 and though it still won't sound like an upright it now has a whole new great texture run through the tube amp. I then ran three of the jammers guitars (though not 3 guitar players playing at the same time) through the other channels. I explained the Master Volume was like a gain and it was hot and I fixed their volumes at 1 - 2 they could control the treble and bass on their channel as they saw fit. The Volume control on each channel is a push/pull knob and pulled out adds reverb. I dialed in a good reverb sound on the Master Controls and thankfully no one thought they needed to sound like The Ventures. They all loved playing through that tube PA head and the 6 - 10" speakers filled the room with sound and warmth.

So when are YOU coming to Florida? We'll all have a great time at the blues jam. Winter is just around the corner.

http://www.DocWilliamson.com

"I chose to sing the blues." Ray Charles
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:44 am

>So when are YOU coming to Florida? We'll all have a great
>time at the blues jam. Winter is just around the corner.

man, don't remind me. Winters up here are brutal. That would be so cool to visit and jam - especially after I read your vocal training program you outlined in the Dam My Voice thread.
nizer
Regular

Previous

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard