Different slides, different tone?!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Different slides, different tone?!

Postby Neal » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:52 am

bottleneckjohn wrote:The plastic in the Tribotone has the softest surface of all slides and it's the one with the lowest string noise and hiss.. :wha:

Gotta give ya that one John. It is a marvel, and totally different than the norm. I have 2, a thin and a thick. Although I think "softest" is not a good choice for a descriptor. It's a very hard surface, but extremely smooth.

Now, having said that, I have 2 Paloma, 3 Diamond, and my 25 year old thick brass. Right now I'm in a Diamond "BlueDiamond" phase. It's sounding right. Next week I'll use the Paloma, or the Ultimate or the Tribotone...

The three mentioned all have their pluses and... well, no minus really. What does have minus, and only to me, is the type that has the surface that's uneven and like The Breeze said, "more friction, think undercurrent of nails on a blackboard."

I have a few of these as well, just to remind me how good it is to have 3 excellent slide makers.

Howzat for diplomacy?!?!?! But I mean every word. Newbies to slide should get the cheapest until they realize the potential. It'll save 'em some money.
Neal
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:41 am

Neal wrote:Although I think "softest" is not a good choice for a descriptor. It's a very hard surface, but extremely smooth.

I agree with you Neal, it's an amazingly hard surface and when you peck on it with a pick it's sounds just like metal. Awesome material! :D
Softer might be a good word though, it shows more wear than on metal or glass slides.
This doesn't affect it's use in any way though and I really, really have used my Tribotone a lot. Simply my fav right now!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby zzzaaappp » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Howdy from Texas Ya'll,
New to the forum.

LOVE my Paloma Stone Slide. LOL, no I don't work for them !
"The tone is in the stone baby"
zzzaaappp
Regular

Postby Neal » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:24 am

The tone is in your hands bud! The stone is cool though, I have 2.

Can't figure out which I like better. There seems to be 3 (with an addendum) bottleneck makers I like best, Diamond, Tribotone, and Paloma. The others are ok, but do not pay attention to detail, one fella on eBay that sells slides does an ok job, and he's not expensive, but the glass is pretty uneven, but he's cheap.

Addendum- another fella on eBay does a real fine job, smooth glass, attention to detail. I broke my slide the second day though.... fell off the bench onto the concrete floor. I have since put a new floor in the area, padded. And a brass slide I've had since.... '75 or so. The benchmark slide for me.
Neal
Regular

Postby A J Davies » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

bottleneckjohn wrote:
leftyguitarman wrote:
jayseibert wrote:I would have enjoyed hearing how a Paloma bottleneck slide would compare to the bunch you tested... :D

If it sounds good in my hands, I know it sounds good in John's hands.
I used my Paloma the other day. I love it!

Thanks, bro!
I sure would like to try one, haven't played a ceramic slide for a while, used a Dunlop Mudslide way back..

How was that mudslide? I've been thinking of getting either a porcelain slide or a pyrex one (closest I have to compare right now is a porcelain vase that sounds pretty nice, rich tones, and a jimmied up slide out of a beer bottle neck that looks uglier than Rosie O'Donnell.)
A J Davies
Regular

Postby ConorSlf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:11 am

Speaking of slides...

Ive found the brass to be warmest, although on a resonator the joe perry signature (or any other ceramic) seems to sing.

Glass doesnt do anything for me really.
ConorSlf
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar