what's that sound?

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

what's that sound?

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-04 AT 07:27 PM (EST)]I've got a nice Yammy grand, digital, that I play all the time; occasionally, I'll hit a chord, usually on the lower end, like the octave below middle C, and one note may sound a little outa pitch. Like the difference between A440, and A339. Anybody have that experience, and know what it is? I assume that the piano is not outa tune, since it supposedly can't be. Is it just sound waves bein' moved around, or what? I think it occurs usually on a 3 note chord, like a major triad, which I don't use very often on the low end.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: what's that sound?

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:06 am

Real pianos have their strings in triplets, with the strings tuned a bit apart, like the center one's on pitch and one's 2 cents off on each side. (There are different schemes for the detuning.) Maybe they're trying to reproduce that and it doesn't come out quite right. Also, due to the vagaries of human pitch perception, the note on the high end of the keyboard aren't exact octaves of their equivalents on the low end.
ricochet
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:44 am

Bubba ~ What in the world are you doing hitting a three note chord an octave below middle C? It won't sound right! But, please try two octaves below middle C and a three note chord. What did you get? Let me guess.....Mud.

OK here is what I know. Three note chords below middle C starting on the C below middle C are not usable. You can play an inversion E - G - Middle C and sound just OK.

There are many programmable tunings on the Yamaha Digital Pianos. I have the Yamaha P120. HOWEVER, all of them are useless to me. The ONE TUNING they SHOULD have put in is STRETCH TUNING. I have that on my Roland RD170. What it does is make the notes on the high and low ends sound in tune. It also helps all across the board. It is great for playing solo but Stretch Tuning won't work well while playing with others tuned to A 440.

OK Bubba, Walk like a man over to your piano and play it like it is meant to be played. Chords and leads MOSTLY above middle C and single bass notes or octave bass notes at the same time or maximum 2 bass notes as used in shuffles and boogies (like (I-V) (I-VI) (I-V) below middle C.

Off with you now. You know I love you :-)
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:49 am

I know, I know, Doc- but I was wonderin' if there's sumpin' wrong with my piano. And thanks for the reply- you know I gotta count on you.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:53 am

Oh, I've been meaning to ask. Did you find a piano teacher you like?
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:58 am

Yeah- I'm goin' with that guy I found about a month ago. I had one lesson from him, which was mainly my demonstration to him of my limited skills. I showed him my Harrison book, and he thought it'd be a good one to work out of. But, I don't have a lesson scheduled until December. He's booked right now, but he's got an opening comin' up. He went through the book with me, made some notes, based on what he heard outa me, and gave me a few assignments. We'll see how it goes.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:09 pm

I just had to bring this thread back to life because Bubba just cracks me up and sometimes he is being serious when he does it :-)

http://www.DocWilliamson.com

"I chose to sing the blues." Ray Charles
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:22 pm

>I just had to bring this thread back to life because Bubba
>just cracks me up and sometimes he is being serious when he
>does it :-)
>
>www.DocWilliamson.com
>
>"I chose to sing the blues." Ray Charles
It wuz nice talkin' with ya' on the phone last nite,Doc! Thanks for callin'. Even the serious crap in life is funny. Sometimes people don't understand that. That's why the ole cartoon with Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner was so hilarious. When bad crap happens, at some point you jus' gotta laugh. And,my keyboard playin' can be seriously funny at times,too! LOL
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cheyenne » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:15 pm

Jeffl, with your piano, a sure way to know if there is something wrong is if you maybe post up a sound file.
If you play some normal chords up in the sweeter zones up higher that are ok, then do this particular thing that sounds bad to you, there's enough musical ears around here to say if it's just that standard 'mud' as Doc says, or if indeed you've got some abnormal mud!
It's not going to sound great down low as he said, but it's supposed to be bad in a particular sort of way.

I've played synths for years and it really isn't that rare for a digital bit of gear to have some particular thing that just makes it freak out a little bit. A ghost in the machine if you will.

Anyway post a clip, i'm curious! :P
cheyenne
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Cheyenne: I think my ear wuz pickin' up on idiosyncracies of the intonation on my Yammy. There are times when the thing just sounds a little out of pitch to me (I don't mean even enough to set up "shock" waves),and I think it's the way they reproduce their frequencies,and exacerbated by the fact that my main instrument is harp, and I'm used to playin' some notes dead center, and other notes bent. I'll play single notes on the harp where I may repeat the note percussively,and every attack may be just a slightly flatter pitch,to modulate to the next phrase. In other words,summa the problem is the wave technology, and some is my ear. It's a 880 Spinet,with no bender,unless you preset it, so it's the same guts as their lowest priced grand, in a spinet; I doubt there's anything defective.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard