blues tips for advanced pianist

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

blues tips for advanced pianist

Postby pianist » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:06 pm

I am a classical pianist, have been playing for 12 years. This week I attended a concert and a pianist did some blues improvisation, I thought it was pretty amazing.
Do you have some tips on how to learn improvising blues? Just learning chords/blues scales? I guess it's like that, but if you have any other tips for me feel free to tell :)
pianist
Regular

Re: blues tips for advanced pianist

Postby jeffl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

I hadn't seen this post before. I always recommend "Blues Piano", by Mark Harrison. He's an accomplished performer with good creds. He has scales,chords, and techniques in numerous styles.

Personally, I learned most of what I've got by learning covers by ear and applying those riffs to my improvisation. I've always felt that jamming with musicians you know is a good way to develop improvisational skills.
If I was starting out today, I'd still listen to Otis Spann recordings, and one of his disciples, Honey Piazza. She's Rod Piazza's piano player. Rod's a harp playin' frontman for his own band, but his wife plays the old way, and there aren't many better than her.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard