Rod Piazza's Honey

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Rod Piazza's Honey

Postby jeffl » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:20 am

Rod Piazza's wife can sure play honky tonk piano. It's funny when you go to a concert to hear a harper,and come away so impressed with the piano player (not to mention her drop dead innocent good looks). Her persistent left hand bass was almost machine like. I've never,ever,heard a piano played that loud either.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Rod Piazza's Honey

Postby barbequebob » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:04 pm

She's in her early 50's and still looks as good as she did back when I first saw her in the 80's!!! Thge constant left hand for me is an absolute REQUIREMENT to be playhinhg with me because it's a HUGE part of playing REAL blues piano, and if you listen to all of the old blues piano greats, that's a TRADEMARK of the sound. As far as I'm concerned, if any piano player hasn't got a left hand happening, they're gonna be totally useless for me and Honey epitomizes the classic blues piano player with the powerful left hand. Believe me, piano players without a real lefthand are a dime a dozen.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:44 am

I agree with you both. Rod has never done anything for me, his vocals, his rap, his writing and attitude is just too contrived cool for me.

Honey is another matter. She is a piano monster and most of it is because of her strong left hand but she also has that lethal combination with the right. IMO she smokes a lot of current men players who are thought to be current blues piano masters.

http://www.DocWilliamson.com

"I chose to sing the blues." Ray Charles
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby j_tour » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:57 pm

>She's in her early 50's and still looks as good as she did
>back when I first saw her in the 80's!!! Thge constant left
>hand for me is an absolute REQUIREMENT to be playhinhg with
>me because it's a HUGE part of playing REAL blues piano, and
>if you listen to all of the old blues piano greats, that's a
>TRADEMARK of the sound. As far as I'm concerned, if any
>piano player hasn't got a left hand happening, they're gonna
>be totally useless for me and Honey epitomizes the classic
>blues piano player with the powerful left hand. Believe me,
>piano players without a real lefthand are a dime a dozen.

Amen -- I think my first enthusiastic post didn't make it up here (or may appear later), but Honey is *the* blues player. The only certifiable player I have on record (among the quasi-newer generation) who is worth really closely listening to. Everyone else, except for the real legends, it's easy to hear what they're doing from a first listen, but she's playing full-on boogie and shuffle even during the full-band arrangements. People like Chuck Leavell and Dr. John are really the people I'd want to count in her circle -- but she's better than these guys at doing what she does.

But, let's be fair -- I'd *love* to play my LH on *every single tune*. Usually it's not up to the piano player to decide how much LH they can use. Bass players who don't understand the music usually complain, for one, or if you're at some random jam on a little 76-key toy you just won't be playing that LH period. Certain styles of music don't work well with that full-on boogie/shuffle bass, so it can be an asset to do the Lloyd Glenn/Ray Charles thing.

I'm a full-on two-fister, when I'm just playing for me or in a good band, but it's a really special kind of band when you *can* play in the natural blues style. Thankfully Honey Piazza has the *awesome* chops *and* a really great bassist to be able to play the proper blues. I don't know a single other so-called "hot" blues piano player who does what she does -- let's hope she can make an album showcasing her piano one of these days.
j_tour
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:58 pm

She broke her piano stool on the second to last tune of the nite--She was standin' on it,playin'a lick with her RIGHT FOOT! I think she was lucky she didn't get hurt.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:47 pm

Used her right foot and standing on the stool, reminds me of Jerry Lee Lewis.(not her playing, just the antics. She is awsome, much more impressed with her than her hubby
In most of the run of the mill blues bands, you can't hear the left hand and as stated before the bass player has to be just right for that action
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:13 pm

There are things about Rod's show that can be picked apart,and I think flashy guys like him are lightning rods for criticism- but,there's a number of good things about him: he is a real good harper;he works very hard; he's not afraid to feature his sidemen/woman;and,he allows himself to appear vulnerable on stage,or is occasionally self-effacing,in order to connect with the crowd. He is a smart man to show off his good looking,hugely talented wife.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard