Resolving scales and uprights

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Resolving scales and uprights

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:54 am

I'm intrigiued by an upright bass guys.

I play bass in a rock band, but I 've started to think that that walking blues bass thing would be great, especially if I was to find a doghouse.

Can anyone point to a good resource for this style? Its kinda hard to search for, I keep finding lots of exercises for scales that are ok, but not what i'm looking for.

Secondary question, would learning this on my electric, fretted bass guitar be of any use for making the transition to upright any easier? Or is it really just a sort or seperate skill thats worth learning.

Any and all advice welcome.

thanks,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby oleman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:31 pm

J. Switching from bass guitar to upright is something I recommend.

I am going on 3 years now on upright from bass guitar and the switch was daunting at first, but well worth the effort. There is some translation from bass guitar to fretless, but not much but after you get comfortable with the upright, you will find that your chops on a fretted bass has improved.

A word of caution...

Don't buy a cheap Chinese upright bass!! They tend to selfdistruct after about 6 mo's. Go ahead and spring for something in the 1200.00 range.
or try and find an older model from a private party.

You won't regret the switch. To get started try: rockabillybass.com
oleman
Regular

Re: Resolving scales and uprights

Postby Hublocker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Building Walking Bass Lines (Paperback)
by Hal Leonard Corporation (Author) "A recording is include to give you the hands-on learning experience that is crucial to this style of bass playing ..

There are lots of books out there like this.

After playing bass for 32 years, I've been recently demoted to playing lead guitar in our band after teaching a friend to play bass.

What I always did 90 percent of the time was use the Root-Third-Fifth of each chord as the basis for walking lines.

You can use 1-3-5-6 as well, or

1-3-5-6-b7

or

1-(octave) 1 - b7-5

But basic 1-3-5 works most of the time for nearly everything unless the song is hooked an parelleling a specific guitar line.
Hublocker
Regular

Re: Resolving scales and uprights

Postby John Crosley » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:34 pm

This is more jazz oriented, and may be a bit advanced for what you are looking for (even after playing for over three decades it is for me), but check out Bill Harrison's you tube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/frcwolf
John Crosley
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom