Different slides, different tone?!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Different slides, different tone?!

Postby bottleneckjohn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey guys!!

I took a bunch of my slides and bottlenecks and made this little demo clip.. :mrgreen:

These slides do look and feel different but there's not THAT much difference in tone, I think that any tone difference is in the mind and hands of who ever's playing!!
Hehe, got steel, brass, bronze, glass and even a really cool and new thing called Tribotone, made out of stainless steel and some kind of engineering plastics!!

Here it is, made just for the fun of it...

Have a look and listen if you have the time!!
Last edited by bottleneckjohn on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Re: A slidin' demo..

Postby bobem » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Great!!!!
Thank you for this, always difficult to compare bottlenecks. I'm looking for a Diamond bottleneck to play on a non-resonator, Ry Cooder like, it seems now a good choice! :D
bobem
Regular

Re: A slidin' demo..

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:20 pm

The Diamond Bottlenecks are amazing slides, so beautiful and superb sounding!!! :D
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Re: Different slides, different tone?!

Postby jayseibert » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:41 pm

I would have enjoyed hearing how a Paloma bottleneck slide would compare to the bunch you tested... :D
jayseibert
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:32 pm

jayseibert wrote:I would have enjoyed hearing how a Paloma bottleneck slide would compare to the bunch you tested... :D

I'd enjoy that too!
Some day maybe.. :D
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 am

A good little road test for the different slides - thanks, John, your demos are always very helpful and much appreciated. Peace :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:19 pm

ricbleu wrote:A good little road test for the different slides - thanks, John, your demos are always very helpful and much appreciated. Peace :D

:D
It's cool that someone appreciate my little demo!! Thank you for that!
Over the years I've found myself thinking about the various materials used for our slides and I feel that what matters is the shape of the surface that touches the strings and the mass/weight/thickness of the slide. Doesn't really matter anymore what the slide is made of, lol!!
I just play and it sounds pretty much the same to me.. :wha:

Something that I do find to be really important is how I feel about the slide, how it "speaks" to me when played, kinda weird maybe but some things just give you the "connection", what ever that means.. (deep, I know..)
Right now I'm just crazy about my TriboTone slide, plastic(!), who would have thought that could be a material for a bluesy slide!!
The weight of the stainless steel and the smooth surface is awesome, is almost ceramic.. :blink: :mrgreen:

Played it on countless gigs for hours each weekend and it shows some wear but it still plays wonderfully..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:36 pm

jayseibert wrote:I would have enjoyed hearing how a Paloma bottleneck slide would compare to the bunch you tested... :D

If it sounds good in my hands, I know it sounds good in John's hands.

I used my Paloma the other day. I love it!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:12 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:

If it sounds good in my hands, I know it sounds good in John's hands.
I used my Paloma the other day. I love it!

Thanks, bro!
I sure would like to try one, haven't played a ceramic slide for a while, used a Dunlop Mudslide way back..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Well Jay's ceramics are awesome. I think they're way better than the Rocky Mountain ceramics.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:47 am

bottleneckjohn wrote:Over the years I've found myself thinking about the various materials used for our slides and I feel that what matters is the shape of the surface that touches the strings and the mass/weight/thickness of the slide. Doesn't really matter anymore what the slide is made of, lol!!
I just play and it sounds pretty much the same to me.. :wha:

Something that I do find to be really important is how I feel about the slide, how it "speaks" to me when played, kinda weird maybe but some things just give you the "connection", what ever that means.. (deep, I know..)

John, been thinking that way ever since I gave up cigarettes, (no tone or sustain). I have an 'old glass' slide, recently cut from a bottle I dug up. It should sound good, but it doesn't. The surface is, well has more friction, think undercurrent of nails on a blackboard.
My standard slide remains the one I cut from a modern champagne bottle, (thicker glass), and I also have a real heavy chrome on steel that I bought for practice. I don't think that there is any marked difference between them, you get more change in tone moving your right hand 2" (50mm) closer to the bridge.

It ain't the slide that makes the music...
The Breeze
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:02 am

The Breeze wrote:It ain't the slide that makes the music...

I totally agree on this! :D

The slide's surface and weight produces most of the tonal quality, this is just my own personal opinion that the material isn't really that important for the tone.. :wha:
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby diamond » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:36 am

Hey B.J! Excellent vid Brother ~ i'm a late arrival on this one.....i seem to be living in the workshop just lately :lol:

Thanks for the kind words about our sliding glassware - i'll p.m you later :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby jayseibert » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I appreciate the kind words written about Paloma slides... to add a few personal observations;

The material a slide is made of DOES make a difference in tone and playability. A softer slide composition/surface will scratch and create unwanted noise... not a good thing as this noise casts a "hiss" and masks the real tonal capabilities of the instrument. Wall thickness and density of the slide's material will affect tone and sustain. Some like the "hiss", some like a thin sound, some like it ballsy, some can't tell the difference, some don't care, some like one type on electric, some like another type on acoustic, some like a light weight slide, some like a heavy slide. Slide players can rejoice in that there is a wide variety of slides made today... you are bound to find one that suits your fancy to a "T".
jayseibert
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:47 pm

The plastic in the Tribotone has the softest surface of all slides and it's the one with the lowest string noise and hiss.. :wha:
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar