playing on the street....busking

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Re: playing on the street....busking

Postby goldbrick » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:40 am

We had a real good night out there. The weather was good and the gorgeous Miami women were out in force

Usually there are more bands out there but not many 2night which was good for us

We got a precious invite from a a business owner who is notorious for chasing buskers but it turns out he loves blues and old timey music so we have another nice piece of turf now.

People wanted some chicago blues so I actually played harp ( which I usually only do at home ) but I always carry one with me. Worked out pretty good but I only had a D harp with me so we used it sparingly -I gotta bring my Astatic mkie next time because playing thru a vocal mike sux-too directional.
So I guess I will step up my harp playing as people seemed to enjoy it and I have fun playing it as I actually get to stand up. Being behind the drums alnight is kinda like being the catcher in a baseball game so its nice to stretch out. I used my damn near wore out hohner old Standby so I guess I'm gonna use some tip money and buy a Hohner pro or Special 20 in D
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:16 am

can't beat good harp playing in public like that- for some reason it brings people in close!
i don't know if you've caught any of Adam Gussow's videos or been to his site and forum at Modern blues harmonica but he does a solo thing- harp and foot percussion. it's pretty awesome. Jolene and i are experimenting a bit with a tambourine underfoot and her slapping her acoustic guitar but it's very early times yet.

next friday we will busk on cherry street in helena during king biscuit blues fest. we've done it a few times before, it's usually a good time one way or another.
jbone1
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 am

Shame you guys are so far away--Looks like our stuff and your stuff would go pretty good together

al
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 am

we did one of the ultimate busking afternoons last friday- on Cherry St in Helena, AR during King Biscuit Blues Fest! a couple hours acoustic and then a couple hours amped in front of a friend's storefront to help promote his preservation hall. it was realy a great day for us!
jawbone60
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:54 am

we had a computer crash last week and got a fresh tower, so i'm redoing all my forum stuff. i was jbone and now i'm jawbone!

last friday was a landmark busk, on Cherry St. in Helena, AR, during King Biscuit Blues Fest! spent a good part of the day playing. got a few tips, sold a few cd's, met up with friends old and new, and did some good for a friend's budding blues school.

a very worthwhile day!
jawbone60
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp