Buying my first Resonator, suggestions?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Buying my first Resonator, suggestions?

Postby gaucho » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:46 pm

If you want to drool over a bunch of Vintage and NRP Nationals (and choke on the prices!), check this link: http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&pag ... d=national
gaucho
Regular

Postby SouthernSounds » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:40 am

gaucho wrote:If you want to drool over a bunch of Vintage and NRP Nationals (and choke on the prices!), check this link: http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&pag ... d=national

Thank you Gaucho for the suggestion (i already knew it)... Although i realized, in these days, that it's not pretty easy to say: hey this is the maximum price for something used... Sorry for the stupid question, it hasn't much sense... Thank you anyway...

Kindly, B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:12 am

Nice link!!! I never knew National made electrics.
s1120
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:37 am

It wasn't a stupid question, SouthernS. When buying anything used - guitars, cars, real estate etc etc, it is always wise to seek the advice of people who are more experienced in that particular field. They might not be able to put an exact figure on things, but they can give you some pointers on the road to your decision. And there's plenty of experience on this forum to dip into. Keep looking, buddy, you'll find something which suits you. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby SouthernSounds » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 am

Thanks for your kind words ricbleu!

I appreciate gaucho's suggestion, because is near to what i wanted to have, a price range. But what i really wanted was some kind of maximum price, and there is where i think my question was stupid, because that max price is really specific to each guitar, and of course is related with your own budget...

Anyway, thanks for your support and good vibes...

Kindly from Chile, B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Postby A J Davies » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:20 am

sometimes I wonder where people get the money from for some of their equipment to be honest!

I play an Asian knock-off resonator (made by Mannix, some no-name company from Lord-knows-where lol) but I got lucky as the importer I got it through offered me a full guarantee on the sound, so if I wasn't happy I could get my money back.

And even then I spent under $300 for it brand new - which I had to save up to buy!

Not lookin' to step on toes here, but somehow it seems there's a few middle class money bags stepping into the blues, man. Thought it was sposed to be for us poor folk! :P

Nah, kidding, kidding. If I could afford anything else I would definitely go for it...
A J Davies
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:41 am

To answer the OP, just a few days ago my Republic Triolian arrived here in Dunedin, New Zealand. Frank at Republic had relegated in to the discounted instruments page as a discontinued model. It's a steel body 12 fret reso in a green/black colour scheme (the colour doesn't knock me out but there were no alternatives and at the price....). It was ready to go right out of the box - well not quite, I put new strings on her, she has incredible sustain, the frets are good, action fine for both finger and bottleneck. So fwiw, I'd recommend Republic cos even the non discounted instruments are good value. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby bek1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:40 pm

You say there are few resonators where you are, but I've pretty much found them rare anywhere, in comparison to practically anything else -- there are more ukuleles, even. I bought a Republic Tricone from Frank, and I've generally been very pleased. Its tone is sort of like a 12-string -- the three cones make a lot of overtones. The finish is beautiful and Frank set it up just as I requested. They say their necks are like old Nationals, but I never played one of those so I didn't know what to expect. To me, the neck feels like a classic guitar -- very wide and flat, rather D-shaped. The sucker is heavy, too! They are very good, and if you want an affordable genuine vintage guitar, a Republic will certainly do while you wait and hunt. I was vigilant, and scored a mid-1930s Regal, wood-bodied spider cone, all original. It has an absolutely wonderful vee neck. It had a couple tuner gears missing and a couple cracks in the sides. I got it very cheaply because it ws considered unrepairable. It was easily repaired, and it is by far the best reso I've ever played or heard (at least to my taste). Patience is often well-rewarded!
bek1
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:24 pm

A J Davies wrote:sometimes I wonder where people get the money from for some of their equipment to be honest!
(edit)
Not lookin' to step on toes here, but somehow it seems there's a few middle class money bags stepping into the blues, man. Thought it was sposed to be for us poor folk! :P

Nah, kidding, kidding. If I could afford anything else I would definitely go for it...

No big secret... 11 hours a day, 6 days a week at the moment. Only wish I had more time to play, sure gives you the blues... :cry:
The Breeze
Regular

Postby A J Davies » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 pm

The Breeze wrote:
A J Davies wrote:sometimes I wonder where people get the money from for some of their equipment to be honest!
(edit)

No big secret... 11 hours a day, 6 days a week at the moment. Only wish I had more time to play, sure gives you the blues... :cry:

i'm just pokin fun, brother.

;)
A J Davies
Regular

Postby neangler » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 pm

I know this thread goes back a few months, but it's still popping up, so.......

With respect to Elderly Instruments, although they might seem sometimes seem expensive, you really are paying for convenience. This is especially important if you live in a place where you won't find many (or any) of the kinds of instruments we are all looking for. (I live in Maine.) Over the years I've bought a couple of mandolins (including a National), three Nat guitars, and other stuff from Elderly. I have also returned one or two instruments to them with NO hassle.

When I have called to discuss an instrument, the sales staff have ALWAYS been been courteous and helpful.

Sure, I try to buy local whenever I can, but let's face it, all the instruments we discuss here are on the fringe. (We're not talking everyday Strats, Les Pauls, etc.) I just mention this because, from my experience, Elderly Instruments is really a 5-star company. They have helped me build a really nice collection.
neangler
Regular

Postby socket wrench » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:10 am

Haha! I can now join this discussion having bought my first reso!

I'm a working musician and I play the old country blues, so I rake the money in :P As much as I'd love to get myself a National, that is way out of my price range. A few years ago I was back home in England and got to play my uncles National. Nice. But.....

I play around the bars in Finland, as well as going to Festivals in Europe to play. There is no way I'd risk taking anything expensive to the bars. And to be honest the normal person isn't going to know the difference between the guitars, especially if they look the same.

Living here in Finland in the middle of the woods and lakes there's not much oppertunity to try out different guitars. So I looked around the net, and on this forum to get some idea. I knew nothing about reso's, and they seemed completely alien to me with their biscuits', spider bridges, etc...... (I thought it was called a biscuit because it looked like a biscuit tin.... :shock: )

I was lucky enough to find a discounted guitar from Republic. Even paying for the shipping here and the tax it was far cheaper than trying to get anything near here, and far better. It has a great swamp green finish. A great thick neck. It came in one of those soft/hard cases. So I have no complaints. I went for the biscuit model just because it suits my kind of playing.

And as some old blues guy said, 'I might look like shit, but I've got good shoes.'
socket wrench
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:22 am

socket wrench wrote: It came in one of those soft/hard cases. So I have no complaints.'

Those cases are amazing. I wish all my guitars came in them. They are extremely protective of the instrument, very light and hardly any bigger than a standard case. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar