Jimmy Reed Tabs

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Jimmy Reed Tabs

Postby alf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi guys, where can I find jimmy reed tabs?

I'm going crazy to find "JIMMY REED - MASTER BLUESMAN" book, but it' s now out of print.

I appreciate your help very much!!!

Bye
Alf
alf
Regular

Re: Jimmy Reed Tabs

Postby rodman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:01 am

Just saw this book -Jimmy Reed master bluesman songbook for "buy it now " price of 107.77 . that must be some songbook ! It is on E-bay and there is another for 109.99 .
rodman
Regular

Postby TC6969 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:50 pm

If you know the I-IV-V straight 12 bar shuffle in E or A, then you know the guitar part to every single song Jimmy Reed ever did.
TC6969
Regular

Postby alf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks, rodman! I saw eBay, but my interest is the content of the book, not on the object itslef. I think that only a book collector can buy it at this price! What a gift to find someone able to share it...

TC6969, you're right and I'm on it, but what I discovered is that there's a next level to play blues songs (at least Masters'), even if they appear simple in structure. This songs are full of "something" (and I know this is what makes a really musician) not so simple to get. Even if that "something" could seem very easy on the fretboard, a good starting point to get it (at least for me) is a good songbook
alf
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:43 pm

TC6969 wrote:If you know the I-IV-V straight 12 bar shuffle in E or A, then you know the guitar part to every single song Jimmy Reed ever did.

And make sure that you know how to play the Jimmy Reed V chord. A straight I-IV-V is only part of it, but it won't get you all the way there. If you don't know the Jimmy Reed V chord, then you definitely don't know Jimmy. 8)
Stackabones
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:17 pm

especially interesting when jimmy reed played one chord and eddie taylor played another,forming a third"mystery chord"haha

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby alf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 am

rodman wrote:Just saw this book -Jimmy Reed master bluesman songbook for "buy it now " price of 107.77 . that must be some songbook ! It is on E-bay and there is another for 109.99 .

I saw it but it's a price for a book collector!!!
Not for me that I'm just trying to understand how JR (or Eddie Taylor) play some phares that seem simple but they are not if you want to have the same effects!!!
alf
Regular

Postby alf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 am

Stackabones wrote:
TC6969 wrote:If you know the I-IV-V straight 12 bar shuffle in E or A, then you know the guitar part to every single song Jimmy Reed ever did.

And make sure that you know how to play the Jimmy Reed V chord. A straight I-IV-V is only part of it, but it won't get you all the way there. If you don't know the Jimmy Reed V chord, then you definitely don't know Jimmy. 8)

Right, it is his trademark.
I read something about it I suppose in Keith Richard's autobiography...
alf
Regular

Postby coochiebluz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 am

did you ever get hold of the book?

I googled it but most sites list it as unavailable.

I am trying to figure out that descending lick that eddie taylor plays in Honest I do - what is that?? it sounds so easy but I can't get it.
coochiebluz
Regular

Return to Guitar