Buying my first Resonator, suggestions?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Buying my first Resonator, suggestions?

Postby briangitaar » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:41 pm

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a Republic Duolian. But before I'm gonna buy one, I was wondering if you could recommend me some alternatives. Since there aren't many resonators being sold in the area where I live, I'll just have to believe the internet..

Thanks!
briangitaar
Regular

Re: Buying my first Resonator, suggestions?

Postby gaucho » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:05 am

Republic, Hot Rod Steel or Michael Messer/Busker would be my choice if I couldn't find a NRP, vintage National or Dobro in my price range. I have 2 Republics that I'm happy with but I also have a vintage National Style O and USA Dobro that I scored by checking the classifieds and shops. I got them for less than either of the Republics. All depends on how much time you want to spend looking!
gaucho
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:25 am

You got a vintage Style O for less than a Republic? :shock: Damn, you are one lucky cat.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby gaucho » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Sure did. $650! Check it out here: http://michaelmesser.proboards.com/inde ... hread=4367

These are the missing photos:

All original 1930's except it had a new neck put on at some point.
gaucho
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Before you get all hopped up, the guitar Gaucho scored has a non-original neck and other non-original features so what he paid does not reflect the current asking prices for a instrument in original condition. I personally think Gaucho took the right road going with a parts-a-nator. It may take some patience but they are out there. I know two guys who have picked up 1930s Nationals with non-original necks - one oddly had a 1930s Epiphone neck on it. Both paid in the $800 range and ended up with really fine playing guitars.

I may be wrong but I thought Busker and Republic guitars are built in the same factory. If so, there is probably not much to distinguish one from the other so it might come down to who does the best settup. I do not have a clue which of the two would have an edge over the other.

You might also want to look at the Beard Goldtone steel body resos as well as , of course, Lenny's Hot Rod Sreel guitars.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby gaucho » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:24 pm

True that the neck has been replaced, but everything else is original 1930's National. The coverplate is from '35 while everything else is '31. Can't really figure out why they put the chicken foot cover on. They were brand new in '35 and maybe they just wanted the latest thing. I see re-necked Style 0's on E-bay going for $2000+ on a regular basis, but I didn't buy this for it's value to collectors, I bought it to play! The cone had collapsed a bit at some point so I reshaped it. Sounded pretty good but I'm currently trying it with a Hot Rod (National) cone. Point is, if you have the time to look around, you can score some good used options to the overseas copies. Also having said that, playing around with this vintage Natiional has given me a new respect for how decent the Republics (and I'm sure the Busker and Hot Rods too) are for the money.
gaucho
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 pm

gaucho wrote: I see re-necked Style 0's on E-bay going for $2000+ on a regular basis, but I didn't buy this for it's value to collectors,

Don't know about that especially with the market still in the toilet. The last two early 1930s Duolians (in original condition) I watched on Bay both went for less than $1600. There was I think it was a Triolian up there a couple of weeks ago with an opening bid of $1900 and there were no takers. With prices so low, if I were in the market I would be seriously condisidering selling one of my flattops to finance another National.

Again, I love altered instruments and am always on the lookout for modded guitars because I can snag them on the cheap. And sometimes the modifications are actually an improvement (like an ebony board or adjustable neck).
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:11 pm

$1600 for a vintage National is a great price. We are very much in a buyer's market.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:29 pm

If I had some expendable cash I would be buying like crazy. The guys I know who own smaller stores tell me they almost have to automatically price guitars about 30% less than the value given in the Vintage Price Guide if they want a quick turnaround. It seems like only the big shot stores can afford to sit on an instrument until they get their price.

Strange thing is if you watch what is going on on eBay - while there are great deals on high dollar instruments, cheap "Vintage" guitars with good reputations like Harmony Sovereigns have shot up in price. The one that really stunned me was a 1930s Regal version of the Gibson L-00 which went for over $1K.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Check out what Elderly is asking for this '34 Style 0: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/50U-1802.htm . YIKES! That thing needs a ton of work too. Even tho mine has been re-necked, I feel like it was the deal of the century at $650, especially seeing prices like those. Like I said before, I bought this as a player. Not for it's collectibility (or lack of). That played in my favor on the price. I told the seller (who was asking a lot more than $650 for it) that it really had little or no value as a collector guitar and it is only really going to be desirable to someone as a player (or someone that sees the National name but doesn't realize what the new neck does to the price).
gaucho
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Sounds like you well and truly shafted the poor guy! He must really have the blues, especially if he reads all your posts! :lol: :lol:
gaucho wrote:Check out what Elderly is asking for this '34 Style 0: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/50U-1802.htm . YIKES! That thing needs a ton of work too. Even tho mine has been re-necked, I feel like it was the deal of the century at $650, especially seeing prices like those. Like I said before, I bought this as a player. Not for it's collectibility (or lack of). That played in my favor on the price. I told the seller (who was asking a lot more than $650 for it) that it really had little or no value as a collector guitar and it is only really going to be desirable to someone as a player (or someone that sees the National name but doesn't realize what the new neck does to the price).
Last edited by kiwiblues on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Not at all. He didn't know anything about the instrument and I gave him a complete rundown on it. I told him that to me, it wasn't worth the asking price but if he was patient it would probably sell to the right person (someone who knew about Nationals, but not about what wasn't original about it). I even suggested he list it on here and Reso Hangout. I thanked him and left with out even making an offer. He called me back a couple weeks later and offered it to me at that price. I didn't "shaft" anyone.
gaucho
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:56 pm

That '34 on Elderly is expensive! But, most things with Elderly are.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby gaucho » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Yeah, check the price of this one! http://www.gbase.com/gear/national-styl ... 931-silver
And it says in all caps"THIS ONE WON'T LAST"!
gaucho
Regular

Postby SouthernSounds » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:22 pm

So, in your opinion folks, which is a "normal" price for a Vintage Style O or a Vintage Tricone Brass Body? - Sorry for my intromission...

Regards, Kindly B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar