New singlecone model - The Delta Rocket..!!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New singlecone model - The Delta Rocket..!!

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Just got this one over to Sweden, played two gigs with it and it's just awesome!
This is a model called the Delta Rocket from Republic Guitars.

Beautiful and nice sounding, almost too shiny though, LoL!!!!!

I like the design and the neck is nice too, fat and wide.. I put some new nickel strings on it, 0.15 - 0.58..
Tuned to F and C in this clip.. :)

It'll be a good stage alternative to my tricones and the vintage guitars, I've been meaning to get me a new singlecone for some time now.
The big grilles makes it easier to mic it on stage as well, I love this one, guys!!!!

:mrgreen:

Here's a few pics, my first gig with it was on the streets, haha! A festival in the north of Sweden, completely acoustic and it sure could be heard around town.. 8)

Later that day I held a workshop about reso-guitars and bottleneck style playing..
Last edited by bottleneckjohn on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Re: New singlecone model - The Delta Rocket..!!

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Very cool! It looks like a Tricone body, but with a single cone. I dig it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Are these not available for sale yet? I don't see it on their website. It sounds fantastic! As does everything in your hands!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks!

Well, it was on their website some weeks back, that's how I found it!! :mrgreen:
Must be sold out and will return again when they have them in stock..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby s1120 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:11 am

That is a beauty !!!!! Enjoy it!
s1120
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:30 am

Wow, John, that was a superb demonstration of different style and tunings. That axe can put out such a wide range of tones, from crying to full on dirty blues. And of course that doesn't happen without the expertise of the man hitting the strings. You are a master! Thank you for posting the vid, John. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:13 pm

ricbleu wrote:Wow, John, that was a superb demonstration of different style and tunings. That axe can put out such a wide range of tones, from crying to full on dirty blues. And of course that doesn't happen without the expertise of the man hitting the strings. You are a master! Thank you for posting the vid, John. :D Peace.

Many thanks RicBleu, I appreciate it!
The guitar seems to be really good sounding, it plays like a dream and the somewhat mixed looks are cool!!

I'll make some more clips with this one, maybe some live stuff..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby bobem » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Very heavy sounding indeed! And so well played! :D
bobem
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey guys!

Just filmed a little clip in standard tuning.
I keep this one in standard now, works so well on the same volume level as my other reso's live on stage.

bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby Hurricane » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:05 am

Wish I could post one post
Hurricane
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:06 am

John, you've stated on other vids that you've used nickel strings. I presume you mean pure nickel windings. What brands do you use, John, and do you buy them locally or order from USA? Thanks :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Hurricane » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Hurricane wrote:Wish I could post one post

Test is it working ?
Hurricane
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:13 pm

ricbleu wrote:John, you've stated on other vids that you've used nickel strings. I presume you mean pure nickel windings. What brands do you use, John, and do you buy them locally or order from USA? Thanks :D Peace

Mostly nickel strings, sometimes PhBronze but not too often..
I've never used any particular brand, lately I've been buying some US made strings sold here in Sweden by a store called JAM, under their own brand name.
Usually their special reso-strings comes in 0.15-0.58.

Right now I have lighter strings on the Delta Rocket keeping it in standard tuning but tomorrow I've had an invitation to ride along on an old steam train and hopefully I'll be able to film some fun clips. LoL!! :mrgreen:
Winter's here so it's kinda cold but I'll try!!

The lighter nickel strings will force me to tune to open G and D instead of my (nowadays) usual open F and C.. :)

Any strings you can recommend, Ricbleu?!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:03 am

John, I have changed both my acoustic guitars over to pure nickel wound strings. John Pearse are now making them and selling them as being for acoustic or electric. Since the change, my guitars seem to give a more mellow, "rounded" sound which I like a lot. I'm only on my first set so I don't know about longevity.

When I started playing back in the 60s, there were no PB strings in NZ (or not that I knew of) and Gibson Sonomatic which were pure nickel wound were what I used. When I saw these John Pearse, I thought I'd try them for old times sake and I have been very pleased with the tone. D'Addario also make a pure nickel EJ22. I wondered if you had discovered another maker of pure nickel strings. Btw, pure nickel round wound are not to confused with "nickel round wound"electric strings which are nickel plated on steel windings and which are brighter for electric guitars.

And just to make sure you get the message, I find your vids extremely instructive. They always contain lots of information on technique and also the hardware side of reso playing. Peace :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:13 pm

ricbleu wrote:And just to make sure you get the message, I find your vids extremely instructive. They always contain lots of information on technique and also the hardware side of reso playing. Peace :D

Many thanks for that comment! Makes me happy to know that you're out there digging my video clips!
It's great fun making them!! :D
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar