Got Da Fever!!

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

RE: Got Da Fever!!

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:20 pm

Wow I bet dats Fun!!! A good friend of mine Leon Jenkins,you have probly heard him play just don't know it, But he won't play anything but his Hammond B3 with lesli, Its a pain with him and he is about 75 so we hafta carry it fer him, 1 night we played George Street Blues Club and it is up a narrow flight of stairs we wrestled this dinosaur up dem damn stairs and the damn thing wouldn't work!!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:23 pm

Ooooh, that's bad!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:52 pm

When I was a kid, My Grand parents had several of da old pump organs,2 was restored, and I spent hours pumpin my back side off and pullin knobs to see what sounds I could get outta it,I had a harmony geetar and a sears silver tone amp and another kid had an silvertone guitar and an amp built inta his case! I learned 96 tears by ?mark and the mysterians, I would pump like crazy to play dat ,maybe dats why I never got inta the keyboards more it was just to much work!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:55 pm

Gezz I was workin on muh piano Lesson sat,and I have some play along Tracks, well my piano was way outta tune wif da tracks !! so I am gettin it tuned today!! never had it tuned since I got it, He is there now at da studio tunin it so I can continue on wif muh lessons dis weekend YEAH!!!LIFE Is GOODE huh!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:37 pm

That'll stretch yer vocal chords,601,'cuz it was undoubtedly pitched flat,lol! Happy 88in'!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:47 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-06 AT 12:56 PM (EST)]YUP!! yo right I just phoned home he is still workin on it muh wifie sez it was flat as a fritter!!!Cain't wait to tryer out!!Its da little things in life!! and a Piano in tune is on dat list!!
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:22 pm

Pretty piano. I don't know if this is too basic but, I do scales with both hands to warm up - at the same time. Then I might use some really basic simple music that gets both hands working as in kids books or simple adult books. Then I go out and buy Dr. John's DVDs. New Orleans piano level 1 and level 2. Just for inspiration and to be able to watch a favorite musician. Hi bubba.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:49 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-06 AT 05:51 PM (EST)]Hi LoriLu! Hey,geez- you're up over 600 posts already. Oh m'gosh. It's been good havin' you around though...Carol's tired of keepin' us straight all by herse'f. So,you play piano too,huh? Piano,bass,and drums...looks like a little Nawlins blues trio to me. You would've enjoyed this weekend long campout jam I went to last weekend,what with 4 good stand up bassists there. I didn't take a keyboard, but once I got there,I wished I had...even my little Farfisa chord organ for the old-timey and Cajun stuff.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:35 am

So it was a good time, so glad to hear that. I wouldn't say I really play anything too well - drums are coming along fine, though. The rest I just work on but I feel it. I'd like to buy that DVD "Make It Funky" with all the New Orleans musicians before the flood. I rented it and it was incredible. The musicianship and the feel of New Orleans and First Line. Really cool. Definitely worth renting at the video store. I am a big fan of Dr. John as a musician and as someone who encourages and promotes newer musicians. And a real person. I want his DVDs. Money is funny.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:00 pm

Hey LoriLu, you need that 2-CD collection of Professor Longhair's music that came out last year. Great stuff!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:19 am

Yep, N'awlins piano is a great way to learn. I found that I could play alternating right and left hands (thus avoiding trying to do two things at once) real easy with that loping style and had Smiley Lewis' "I Hear You Knockin'" down pretty quickly in C from a standing start.
nizer
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:36 am

Yeah, I DO need that CD, Ricochet. Tax return. And it's so spent already. Has anyone seen that "Make It Funky"? You can rent it for a few bucks and buy it for about $27. It's so good.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:51 pm

Well, got my piano tuned ,and was able to go home yesterday evening,and make a little noise,my noise sounds a heck of a lot better, but really it sounded great went thu the few cords i know and learned sonme new ones,but it sounded great much better to sing with as well!! Iam a happy puppy!!Cain't wait to get home this weekend and play some more!!
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:00 pm

How very cool! So glad you are enjoying the piano and can't wait to get home to play. Nothing can really top that feeling. We have a guy around here named Ron Thompson who plays guitar and sings blues and then hops on the keyboard and just blows everybody's mind. He does a lot of boogie woogie.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Well i didn't have a lot of time to spend on the piano this weekend,but it does sound fantastic,and I think I can out play anyone when it come to an old fav, Home on the Range!! Iam ready to move on to song 2, when da saints go marchin in, By the way Home on da range was a 2 hander!!! cool huh??
601blues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard