Thoughts On PA Systems

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Thoughts On PA Systems

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue May 17, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm considering getting a PA system, but once again I'm entering into foreign territory! What I do want is the ability to have two vocal mics, and ample ports for gits and my porch board. I do want to keep the cost down and I don't have any ambitions where it will be subjected to a lot of travel. I've had recommendations for Beringhers, Fender Passports, etc., but as the old saying goes, "Opinions are like assh*les, every body has one.

Thus I'm throwing this out to see what kind of input I can get. As stated I need to keep cost in mind as times, they are tight.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Thoughts On PA Systems

Postby Stackabones » Tue May 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Since budget is important, what is yours?
Stackabones
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:03 pm

We bought a Matrix B52 200 watt 5 channel system
http://www.thedjhouse.com/item/b52-matrix-200/
5 years ago, to use at small gigs... so that we wouldn't have to set up our monster system. It was $499 or something like that, from Guitar Center. We were shocked how good it really is. We've used our big system only a handfull of times, and the small Matrix system has over 400 gigs on it between two bands. Everything is still sounding great and going strong. Even the stock speaker cables it came with are still fine. Great portibility with a roll around case, and sets up in about 10 minutes.
Last edited by 1four5 on Wed May 18, 2011 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
1four5
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed May 18, 2011 1:06 am

Stackabones wrote:Since budget is important, what is yours?

In the neighborhood of $500 or so.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby deltablues56 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:50 pm

How Ya doing. I have been playing a porch board and acoustic guitar/resonators through my PA for about 7 years. The 1st thing to consider is if you get a cheap PA your porch board is going to sound like crap. That thing really needs a sub woofer or a speaker system with the ability to take the loud thumping of the porch board without distorting.
I have a suggestion that will work for you. Look on craigs list or someplace for a used home stereo powered sub woofer. I use one of those when I play smaller gogs and use my harmonica player's small speakers. My powered sub says it is like 400 watts (but it isn't). I only payed like $50. I see them all the time on craigslist for a similar price and it is worth every penny. You plug the porch board directly into the sub-woofer input and you are all set. The porch board sounds terrific and you can now get away with a smaller PA setup. A small PA like a Passport or one of those $199 small units at Guitar center will work ok for vocals and guitar but will NEVER be able to handle the porch board with any kind of volume.
Good lick...Delta
deltablues56
Regular

Postby deltablues56 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:57 pm

How Ya doing. I have been playing a porch board and acoustic guitar/resonators through my PA for about 7 years (been playing guitar for 40+ years. The 1st thing to consider is if you get a cheap PA your porch board is going to sound like crap. That thing really needs a sub woofer or a speaker system with the ability to take the loud thumping of the porch board without distorting or blowing the speakers.
I have a suggestion that will work for you. Look on craigs list or someplace maybe a pawn shop for a used home stereo powered sub woofer (something with like a 12 inch speaker and at least 100 watts RMS power. I use one of those when I play smaller gigs and use my harmonica player's small speakers. His speakers don't handle the porch board. My powered sub says it is like 400 watts (but it isn't). I only payed like $50. I see them all the time on craigslist for a similar price and it is worth every penny. You plug the porch board directly into the sub-woofer input and you are all set. The porch board sounds terrific and you can now get away with a smaller PA setup. A small PA like a Passport or one of those $199 small units at Guitar center will work ok for vocals and guitar but will NEVER be able to handle the porch board with any kind of volume.
I basically run the same setup you want to run. It works well for me. Yes opinions are like ass-holes but my opinion is like an experienced ass-hole.
Good luck...Delta
deltablues56
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues