West Coast Blues, new to me…

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

West Coast Blues, new to me…

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm so locked into the midwest styles of blues, it came as a discovery to hear how jazzy west coast blues is.
I've learned some by way of a music book: Rhythm Guitar Guide for Blues Bands by Larry McCabe. (I'm just a old guy with a hobby).
It sounds like jazz, but in a 16 bar blues. Nice, but not really my interest, too easy listening mellow.
I'm more into the devil's triangle: Chicago-Texas-Mississippi and any city near that.

On a related note, it seems to me that Jazz lost it's teeth back in the mid 1970's.
When people hear it now, they're ordering a bottle of wine, or looking for a magazine. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz
What would Pops Armstrong think? :wha:

Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Re: West Coast Blues, new to me…

Postby Disciple » Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Bill there is a saying......; "when you take the Blues out of Jazz all you got left is noise"!

I think that's what you're talking about. If it don't have a little swing or bop then the Blues foundation isn't there and it frankly looses something.
Disciple
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Wed May 11, 2011 3:43 pm

It seems that jazz also gave up on vocals, especially from men. Granted there are jazz vox out there, but it's mostly instrumental. I'm glad that blues is still largely rooted in vox.
Stackabones
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm

I don't know - it kind of depends on where you listen to Jazz. I hear live Jazz bands all over the world, at weddings and special events of every size. Pops would certainly recognize Jazz's place on the world stage, shoulder to shoulder with the European Classical tradition and still ready to blow a little bop after hours with the Blues boys. Of course I see Blues and various types of indiginous musics represented this way in my travels - but of course I'm looking and listening.

In a sense, of course you are also hearing a homogenised - shared - product at many of these performances, but I don't think that making music part of our daily lives does the music any harm.

If you think there needs to be a bold musical revolution, then pick up your horn and blow Gabriel blow.

But your mileage may vary; if all you're talking about is the music in the background of TV commercials, I can't help you.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 pm

allanlummox wrote:I don't know - it kind of depends on where you listen to Jazz.
If you think there needs to be a bold musical revolution, then pick up your horn and blow Gabriel blow.

I'm talking about radio mostly, I was a big fan of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's first 2, and My Goals Beyond.
Because I'm a bass player I hear a lot of chatter about the late Jaco Pastorius and I built a bass like his, but I had a listen to Weather Report's Birdland, today it sounds too cutesy/sweet for me to bear.
No message except, be mellow and cute. :)
As for taking up my own horn, I have another instrument.
You do it Dan, and please don't go cutesy/sweet.
Bill
Last edited by Buffalo_Bill on Thu May 12, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Thu May 12, 2011 12:18 am

Jorma Kaukonen's first vid shows that one.....good for startin' pickin'
tinsmith
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu May 12, 2011 2:41 am

I dunno'. Some have claimed that Sean Costello is sort of West Coast Blues but I don't care what you call it. I call it not of this world. This guy was a monster. I could only hope to achieve an nth of this talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeL6MGT ... re=related
texas blues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 am

I dunno but what I consider West coast Blues is sweet-- T Bone Walker, Lowell Fulsome, Little Milton, Hollywood Fats, Joe Louis walker, Etta James, Shuggie Otis- sliding 9ths --horn stabs-major thirds--real sweet and melodic
goldbrick
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu May 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Get some George Smith cds. He was one of the great (probably the best) west coast harp players and he influenced a lot of players out there, including Rod Piazza and William Clarke.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu May 12, 2011 6:29 pm

dcblues wrote:Get some George Smith cds. He was one of the great (probably the best) west coast harp players and he influenced a lot of players out there, including Rod Piazza and William Clarke.
Glad you mentioned Clarke, because you reminded me of this video I saw here. I just looked him up and I was sorry to read he died in 1996 at only 45.
However this video puzzled me about the mix of jazz and blues on the west coast, because one guitarist is playing a hollow body with a smooth jazz sound, as Clark is playing a Mississippi sax.
New to me. Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Fri May 13, 2011 12:28 am

Must be a couple West Coast Blues out there???
tinsmith
Regular

Return to Talking Blues