What do you think about ....?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

What do you think about ....?

Postby The Saint » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:40 pm

clubs that have signs advertising Open Mike Night during the week and DJ and Kareoke on the weekend?

I love the Open Mike when used to help develope player skills, but I feel that I see the above far too often. Any opinions?
The Saint
Regular

Re: What do you think about ....?

Postby texas blues » Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 am

Its whatever is payin' the bills. If its K-night...If I'm a club owner, I jump on it. Lots of open mics out there but from what I've seen..lots of crappy players. That don't sell too well. Not many people want to hear or see a cat that just wrote a song and performing from a cheat sheet and badly at that. On the other hand, people love to hear and see wannabe' singers make fools of themselves. If it sells beer and shots...a no brainer.
texas blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue May 10, 2011 10:04 am

Well, I've met loads of people at open mics and had a lot of fun. Been places I wouldn't have without paying. So, unless you actually depend on being paid for music to live, they're a good thing. And it's not all bad news if you're a pro, you can see people perform and decide if you want to do something with them without any pressure.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:47 pm

It does suck for musicians who've progressed from open mic and Kareoke to trying too make it. Freeking DJ's buy a Kareoke machine and a PA and download every song known to history from the internet and then saturate the clubs with anything anyone wants to hear. The going rate around here for a DJ is $150 a night. If you're a 3 or 4 piece band, and want any more than $150/night, the owners laugh at you and turn right around and call a DJ. 20 years ago a band could take home $400- $500 bucks on a good night and pack a club. Now you're lucky to get work for $150/night and the yuppies are pissed if you don't play Blink82 or Taylor Swift or whatever the stuff is now adays. :| :roll: :x
1four5
Regular

Return to About Gigs