Weissenborn project

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Weissenborn project

Postby Freeman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 pm

My winter project this year is a pair of Weissenborns. I haven't posted much on this forum lately, so I thought I'd show off.

Bending the sides in a Fox bender

Kerfing the sides

The top with rosete installed and the fretboard with maple frets

Top, back and sides ready to go together

I always enjoy signing the top

and gluing it on in the go-bar deck

Freeman
Regular

Re: Weissenborn project

Postby Freeman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I made a label for the back

and glued it on

bent some maple strips to be the binding

and routed the channels

high tech binding gluing system

yields

detail of the end graft

Mean while. I glued up the plates and bent the sides for number 2

Freeman
Regular

Postby s1120 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Looks nice!! I LOVE those bending racks!!!!
s1120
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 pm

Looks awesome! What finish are you going to use?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Freeman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Looks awesome! What finish are you going to use?

I've had very good luck with KTM-9 as a home finisher - it is safe, easy to spray and clean up and has given me almost nitro like finish (which is really bad for a home builder). When I did the koa tricone I experimented with different pore fillers - paste, CA and Zpoxy and the latter really "popped" the grain, so that what I'll use here too.
Freeman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:40 am

Very nice, I'd like to do one of those some day but am obsessed with a more obscure instrument these days...
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby OldWailer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 pm

OH, man that is just SO cool! I love the sound of the wizzies--just can't afford one right now. I was looking into building one--but I figured that the price of the materials was something similar to the price of buying a Republic--not to mention the time it would take. I would have to put some money into tools as well as just materials to do it. There is a book online somewhere on how to build one with minimal tools--some guy that built one in a shop on a small boat he lives on in New Zealand, I think--still, the materials are expensive.

So I'm experimenting with an idea to make a box with some amount of acoustic sound--but with very cheap locally sourced materials. I hope it works--I don't really need it to be beautiful--I just want it to sound great. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Freeman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 pm

OldWailer wrote:OH, man that is just SO cool! I love the sound of the wizzies--just can't afford one right now. I was looking into building one--but I figured that the price of the materials was something similar to the price of buying a Republic--not to mention the time it would take. I would have to put some money into tools as well as just materials to do it. There is a book online somewhere on how to build one with minimal tools--some guy that built one in a shop on a small boat he lives on in New Zealand, I think--still, the materials are expensive.

So I'm experimenting with an idea to make a box with some amount of acoustic sound--but with very cheap locally sourced materials. I hope it works--I don't really need it to be beautiful--I just want it to sound great. . .

Obviously you could build it a whole lot cheaper than I am, but that is not my goal. If you made a teardrop shape you would save a lot in side bending, don't do any binding, simply paint some lines on the fretboard, and use some left over tuners you could probably make it really cheaply - and who, knows, might sound OK. I've been listening to Ben Harper and saw David Lindley last year so I had a goal in mind for these.

One of the lutherie forums has a "$100 Acoustic Challenge" - build and document something for less than a hundred bucks and this could fit that perfectly. I actually started building a cigar box lap guitar for the challenge, but aborted from lack of time.

I saved a lot of money on this one since we could fit two guitars out of some slightly oversized pieces of koa that Notable Tonewood had on hand. I ended up with a tiny bit of sap wood on the outside of the lower bout, but not bad. I'm guessing that with Grovers, bone nut and saddle, my little pearl headstock inlay and the finish, I will have about $500 or less into each.

btw - a Weissenborn is relatively easy to build since they don't have all the neck issues nor frets. Much like a dulcimer.
Freeman
Regular

Postby Neal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm

zhyla wrote:Very nice, I'd like to do one of those some day but am obsessed with a more obscure instrument these days...

Theremin?

Nice work Freeman!
Neal
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

A beautiful guitar! Wish I had your skills. :mrgreen:
Suppose I could always take an old half sized guitar and modifiy it by putting some sort or hollow neck on it. It would be interesting to hear how it sounded? :roll:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Kool. One of the few kinda guitars that I still get a bad case of GAS over.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Beautiful work!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Those look great! I'm hoping to build myself a Weissenborn sometime in the next couple months, and I'll be satisfied if mine turns out one tenth as nice as yours.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:28 am

Definitely a very professional job. She looks beautiful even without her make-up on. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:03 am

Neal wrote:
zhyla wrote:Very nice, I'd like to do one of those some day but am obsessed with a more obscure instrument these days...

Theremin?

Nice work Freeman!

Nope - I said obscure!

So... when are we seeing pics with the finish on?
zhyla
Site Admin

Next

Return to Guitar