Home Made Porch Board, Opinions Needed

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Home Made Porch Board, Opinions Needed

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:15 am

I'm thinking about cobbling together a roughly 12" x 12" x 2" box and lining the exterior of the bottom with some scrap carpet. For a pickup, I'm thinking something along the lines of a piezio mic from Radio Shack and an adapter so I can plug it into a standard guitar cable. Thoughts thus far?

The big question is, at present, all I have to plug it into is a 25Watt Fender Frontman that isn't for a bass git.

When everyone gets up off the floor and stops laughing, I'd sure appreciate some feed back or alternative ideas. Being on a fixed income in these times mandates the simplest method of getting something I can tap my foot on and get just a bit of thump when I play.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Home Made Porch Board, Opinions Needed

Postby maxx england » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 am

A regular subject, and nobody laughs. Try this previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11083
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks Maxx! When it comes to carpentry and electrics, etc., I'm not very handy. Thus the need for keeping this as simple as possible.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:10 pm

are you talking a boot box? If so, not a dumb idea at all! Ive thought about it myself... I cant wait to hear how you do it.
s1120
Regular

Postby michaelm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Go for it. You can pick up a piezo element and a 1/4" jack from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. maxx pointed you to some ideas. Don't condemn the Frontman until you've tried it. Success or (highly unlikely) failure, post some pics here and let us all see how it came out. Good luck.
michaelm
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 am

Just a quick update on the porch board idea. I had an extra computer mic laying around and thought that might be workable. Talked to Radio Shack about an adapter to mate it to a 1/4" instrument cable. No dice says the R Shack guy. Did some googling and discovered a US based company that makes custom cables and gave them a call. Talked with a very pleasant gentleman, explained what I had and what I wanted to do and he says "No problem!", and the adapter will have an approx one foot lead on it. Cost, just under $15.00 US shipped. I was very pleased with the service and the patience I received so, I'm going to put a plug in for them. The company is Cables For Less. Check them out on the net or give them a call if you need something. Number is 1 800 273 9556 and hit extension 17 which will get you Tom, the general manager.

Next step is to make a shallow box out of scrap lumber I've got laying around. I'm really beginning to think this is going to work.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby s1120 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

OK... now this may be a dumb questen.... but do/will/can you plug it into the same amp the guitar is playing through???
s1120
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 pm

There are mixers available, Maplin's electronics chain here actually do a little 4 channel battery job, so I'd think America has them somewhere if you don't want anything more than a simple volume balancer.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 pm

s1120 wrote:OK... now this may be a dumb questen.... but do/will/can you plug it into the same amp the guitar is playing through???

There are no dumb questions. In this instance the answer is no. Ultimately my plan is to plug my git into my Peavey Delta Blues, and that into a PA system, along with the porch board and vocal mic. The problem with the PA is that I need to sell some match grade ammo to come up with the scratch to buy a PA. If I don't, my wife will kill me with the two pistols I got and did trigger jobs on.

So, at this point, I'm thinking about what size I need to make the porch board. I'm thinking a box like affair, but haven't quiet finished digging through my scrap wood supply. As I said in the beginning, this is going to have to be a low dollar initiative, but I'm starting to think I'll get it done.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby TPB » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Okay I have built a few of these on the cheap here are a couple tips I made mine in a wedge form( easier on old legs) Used double sided tape to keep the Speaker in place in the Box. Hardwood made a better sound than soft. Made the back side that would pop off in case I needed to adjust any thing and glued some rubber on the bottom so it is not moving around the stage. I put mine through the pa than adjust EQ to lower the sound. Another note different shoes sound different and barefeet don't work. If you wish I can post some pics
Tim
TPB
Regular

Postby s1120 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:20 pm

TPB wrote:Okay I have built a few of these on the cheap here are a couple tips I made mine in a wedge form( easier on old legs) Used double sided tape to keep the Speaker in place in the Box. Hardwood made a better sound than soft. Made the back side that would pop off in case I needed to adjust any thing and glued some rubber on the bottom so it is not moving around the stage. I put mine through the pa than adjust EQ to lower the sound. Another note different shoes sound different and barefeet don't work. If you wish I can post some pics
Tim

Yes, please do!
s1120
Regular

Postby TPB » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:37 am

Not a problem I will get the camera out tonight and get you some
Tim
TPB
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Well Gang, just a bit of an update. Many, many years ago I remember an old black man playing his git and using one of the old wooden cases that were used to ship the bottles in, e.g. Coke, Pepsi, et al. I got a will hair and called a fellow I know locally who has a mixed antique/catch all shop and lo and behold he had an old wooden coke case. Well, I got it and am gluing up some loose joints and I'm going to see how that works. From the "make do" perspective that the blues came from, I think it may be a nice touch.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby s1120 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Bant's Bluz wrote:Well Gang, just a bit of an update. Many, many years ago I remember an old black man playing his git and using one of the old wooden cases that were used to ship the bottles in, e.g. Coke, Pepsi, et al. I got a will hair and called a fellow I know locally who has a mixed antique/catch all shop and lo and behold he had an old wooden coke case. Well, I got it and am gluing up some loose joints and I'm going to see how that works. From the "make do" perspective that the blues came from, I think it may be a nice touch.

Cool. I was planing on using a old apple crate I have that I got from my Dad. He got it at the first job he had at a apple orchard.
s1120
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Several years ago I saw a blues player in Memphis using a coke crate as a stomp box.He had on hard soled shoes and stomped both feet.It sounded good to me.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues