real blues VS Fake blues?......

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: real blues VS Fake blues?......

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:11 pm

zhyla wrote:If white folk can't play blues then how do you explain this straight up blues being played between a man and a woman? That's right suckers, The White Stripes are a counter-example to black-only blues. Check and mate, my friends, check and mate.

your a joke, look for my white stripes post a few mnoths ago & you my freind ripped it apart. I will find it as its got to be somehwre in my history & your view of the white stripes is terrible.

I have all the white stripes albums & also a live gig from reading festival in the uk, I am a huge fan. It was through sonhouse that i found the white stripes.
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:13 pm

zhyla wrote:If white folk can't play blues then how do you explain this straight up blues being played between a man and a woman? That's right suckers, The White Stripes are a counter-example to black-only blues. Check and mate, my friends, check and mate.

farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Singemonkey wrote:This foolish, racist kid raises a good point that I've been pondering. At what point does blues lack the something that made it appealing in the first place? Where I live, and in a lot of the vids of the blues players that everyone's raving about now, I see what I'd describe as "good-time music," - the blues as an excuse to jam, everyone nodding to one another, a whole lot of guest stars. There's this feeling of blues is like working on your car, or having a beer. It's a relaxing, blue-collar get-together kind of thing where you watch the musicians do fancy stuff and go, "yeah!" Pass the hotdogs.

Where the hell has the feeling gone? Is this really what people want from this music? That would explain why the audiences know all the bonnamassa a Stevie-Ray records, but have never heard Freddie King. Have never heard Bukka White. Don't know any Muddy Waters besides Hootchie-Cootchie Man. And I, unlike our clever tyke, am not claiming that black people have some inherent ability to play blues that white people lack (a curious piece of racism found a lot among musicians). Peter Green packed huge emotional wallop, as did Clapton's aggressive playing in the sixties.

So where is it now? Why is it now all about jammin'? I got hooked by the raw emotion of the blues. And I think other people would be too. So where do we find it today? That White Stripes example was apt. Jack White may not play squeaky clean and neat little slide runs, but the feeling is there. Is he the only one?

Apart from that foul comment I agree with you.

How am I racist?......You know you can call me anything you like but things I take a serious dislike to is being classed as racist.
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby allanlummox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:02 pm

We're ALL racist. For as long as society contains that form of inequality, it is a "foul" name that we all must carry. This was explained to me with great patience and forbearance by a prospective Father in Law many years ago. At the time, I was full of denial - no, not me, how could a racist even consider marrying an African American girl? But years of observation has confirmed his position.
Bigotry is one thing - racism another.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the last thing you learned is the last thing you need to learn.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Big Mike » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:19 am

Ah Yes. Real Blues. I'm an Australian so what do I know about Real Blues. But.....having studied and listened to Blues for over 40 years, I think I have a handle on it. There are many players in Australia who call themselves Blues Players, but they all lack that authenticity needed to be a Real Blues player. It's all good stuff, but it's only a copy. As to only Mississippi Delta musicians being the only Real guys, what a load of crap. What about the Piedmont players. Are people saying Blind Boy Fuller, Blind Willie McTell, Reverend Gary Davis, Pink Anderson, Buddy Moss, Brownie McGhee and many others are not Blues players? Surely you jest!
Big Mike
Regular

Postby Singemonkey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 am

farmaz wrote:How am I racist?......You know you can call me anything you like but things I take a serious dislike to is being classed as racist.

It's all in the text you quoted.

As I said, I don't think there's anything in the life or race of a person that prevents them from playing blues. I think it's entirely possible to play blues that would move people to tears 'n whiskey if you were brought up in a palace in Budapest. What bugs me is the lack of actual interest in playing blues with feeling. I'm sure there are people out there doing it. But it seems weird that the preponderance of blues players that I see either at live or on youtube all seem to come from the Texas ZZ Top, Stevie Ray (who was a great player and a genuine bluesman, but he influenced a lot of tedious players) school, and seem totally disinterested in blues as a means to display raw emotion - in a way everyone from Robert Johnson, to Fred Mcdowell, to Peter Green, and even Mick Jagger knew all about.

For these players I'm hearing now, it all seems to be light entertainment without any of the real drama of the blues. And for me the passion and the drama is what makes this music.
Singemonkey
Regular

Postby Jusatele » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:06 pm

I feel like maybe I need to grab a cup of tea and have my pinky out to talk real blues around here.

Bottom line is real blues is a man with his instrument feeling the music in his soul

get upset about Chicago blues, Texas blues, West coast blues or what ever, fact is without it we would have no blues scene, we would all reside in the "where are they now"file
does a baseball fan need to be able to quote the stats of the 1918 yankees ? Does a race fan need to know the opening lineup of the 1932 Daytona race?

Sure lots of guys will not know what a studied enthusiast will, but does that make him less a fan? What did you know when you first started listening?

Rock Blues may not be the best blues. I think it is just an excuse not to study to much guitar, I mean learn a 12 bar and a few scales and become a Rock Blues god, but without it our scene would be DEAD.

Look at it like Light Beer, thin with very little taste, but the majority of the consumers in the USA buy it. And because they do those breweries can afford to produce some great beers.

Just a few thoughts

back to ripping fake blues
Jusatele
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:08 pm

We've all seen rock bands who think simple is the same as easy. I had the great pleasure of being part of a jam that filled the beer tent; we were followed by a rock band, playing blues covers, who cleared it minutes.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 pm

This is what I was talking about when I said I played blues when I was 16. I wasn't even good. I hadn't even heard that much "good" blues, but I was playin' the blues. I probably had one freakin' harp, and my playin' partner was playin' a gut-stringed classical Mexican guitar that he prob'ly found in the attic, and we jammed blues for hours.. as soon as we had any idea what it was. And, we found Sonny Terry, Rev.Gary Davis, and a buncha other guys like 'em.
As soon as I figured out it was "legal" to repeat the first phrase twice (unlike rock music) and finish it off with another one I was nationwide.

Yeah, I've been on tone searches buyin' tube amps (for harp), delay & reverb pedals, switchin' harp brands, buyin' different mics, etc., and I've spent hours tryin' to learn some tricky techniques, and all I've done is occasionally got myself to a place that's a helluva long way from the blues. Thank God the blues comes back to me... and I'm nobody.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jusatele » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 pm

thanks

I am a huge fan of Rich Harper, look him up on the internet
I discovered him 16 years ago, playing in a club that really did not offer enough to live on
I have followed him, jammed with him, sat and talked the blued, we both have 2 huge similar influences
Robert Johnson, and Rory Galleger, we both go GaGa over them.
Now he makes his living doing Rocking blues, and he can set a bar on fire with a rendition of Ramblin, but down deep, we get together after a gig, and try to out tear ( tear in the eye) each other over the song Come on my kitchen and we discuss each movement of the slide, we tear our hearts out over the pain expressed in each passage, we try to get the wind howling. I may make 4 times a year what he makes, but when we are together we are equals trying to emulate what we both love.
Where does this connect to this thread, without rocking blues doing what anyone will listen to, Rich would be a factory worker doing time in Pennsylvania and never had the opportunity to record such songs as "when she moved in my guitar moved out"
That is a great blues song, rocking I admit, but a great blues about women who want their bad boy but not his toys.
Jusatele
Regular

Postby Neal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 am

Are some of you guys focking seriously arguing about "real blues", with racism, bigotry, etc.. in your posts? Serious? Or even what "real blues" is? That just epitomizes posing.

Alan Lummox, great post, btw. this one- (snipped)
Don't make the mistake of thinking that the last thing you learned is the last thing you need to learn.

Music is music. It touches you not unlike a priest and a choirboy, or it does not. Or I suppose I could have chosen a better analogy, but fock it, that one struck me as funny. Priests and choirboys.. :wha:
Neal
Regular

Postby Neal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:39 am

Oh... there's always that fake classical and fake country... but we are a "blues" board, so....

How about fake 'ukulele music? Now that's a subject!! I'll tell you what.....!
Neal
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:19 am

Fake jazz too==I even have a fake book
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Singemonkey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 am

jeffl, really liked your reply. My bassist last night said, once we'd had a few pints, that no one will come out to listen to the kind of stuff I have in mind. To give you perspective, our band had just been rehearsing La Grange. I'd said, when that song came up, why not just do a John-Lee Hooker song? Apparently audiences aren't interested.

Admittedly, the scene here is pretty small.

But hey, thought I'd just post this, since it's on-topic. From The Onion. House of Blues opens a drive-thru window:

Singemonkey
Regular

Postby s1120 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Singemonkey wrote:jeffl, really liked your reply. My bassist last night said, once we'd had a few pints, that no one will come out to listen to the kind of stuff I have in mind. To give you perspective, our band had just been rehearsing La Grange. I'd said, when that song came up, why not just do a John-Lee Hooker song? Apparently audiences aren't interested.

Admittedly, the scene here is pretty small.

But hey, thought I'd just post this, since it's on-topic. From The Onion. House of Blues opens a drive-thru window:

LOL!!!!! Going to see him tomarrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
s1120
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues