Martin 000-28EC Serial numbers?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Martin 000-28EC Serial numbers?

Postby The Saint » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:56 pm

That's the way I have it figured. It sure would have been easy to add the 2 or 4 digit year for clarification.
The Saint
Regular

Postby MichelleB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Good day! This is my first time posting to a forum but I'm pretty desperate for advice. I have a friend who plays an Ovation, but his "dream" gutair is a Martin. I know NOTHING about quality, etc. However, a local vintage shop has a used Martin 000-28EC that he is pushing me to buy. He started at $3K, and, due to the market, is willing to accept $1,500 cash. What do I need to look for to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of? He has a good reputation in the community and has been here for over 20 years. My next question is: Is this the type of purchase that is intimate enough that the ultimate owner should see, play, etc before making a deal? Thank you for any advice you can provide! This experience has piqued my interest in learning to play myself.
MichelleB
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Price is great for that model (but not too good to be true). What condition it is in will affect the price. You know what to look for to make sure it's the real deal? You can find pictures on the internet of the inside-the-body label and EC's signature on the neck.

MichelleB wrote:My next question is: Is this the type of purchase that is intimate enough that the ultimate owner should see, play, etc before making a deal?

Yes. V-shaped neck profiles aren't that common, so if your friend likes the model based on Eric Clapton or the specs rather than past experience with this model (or ones like it), he should probably play it. Martin makes OOO- models with the more common rounded neck profile.

Is the guitar for you or your friend? Who is pushing you to the purchase— the dealer or the friend? If you're buying this for your friend, that's a very fancy gift!

If it's for you, there are some very nice OOO- and OM- style guitars for a great deal less, and your friend should find a less pricey way to live vicariously through you. :)
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby MichelleB » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Thank you so much for the reply as I have no clue what I'm doing. Apparently it's been listed on ebay now but doesn't have any bids. The gutair would be for my friend, who knows NOTHING about it, and frankly would be mortified if he even knew I was considering this. Also, the seller is not pushing, since I've already bought an Ovation from him that hopefully I will be able to learn to play. Below is the description of the Martin listed on eBay:

A PRE-OWNED 2005 MARTIN 000-28EC
ERIC CLAPTON ACOUSTIC GUITAR & CASE
000 size body, rosewood back & sides, sitka spruce top with vintage toner,
scalloped braces, ebony bridge, maple bridge plate, herringbone trim & rosette,
ivoroid binding, 24.9" scale, 1-3/4" nut width, V-shaped neck with adjustable truss rod,
open vintage style tuners, ebony fretboard with diamond & square inlays,
EC's pearl signature at 19th fret, standard saddle (not long), 2-1/4" string spacing.
Vintage "Geib" style archtop wooden case.

VERIFIED MARTIN STOCK - BODY, NECK, BRIDGE
ACCORDING TO VGG GUITAR TECH, MIKE.
SET UP WITH FRESH STRINGS &
IT PLAYS LIKE MELTED BUTTER.

-----------------------------------
IN GREAT PLAYING CONDITION
However, some minor nicks, dings, throughout as it was enjoyed & played.
Note also some wear behind lower neck & some wear back of neck near heal.
Guitar neck and part of headstock was retouched and/or re-painted possibly due to past excessive wear.
Looked over by us today and no present issues can be seen.
-----------------------
Please remember all used instruments may have some
minor imperfections. Anything major will always be pointed out. [/color]
--------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for taking the time to repond and any insights you may have.
MichelleB
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:12 am

Looks like the real deal to me. I've never played one of these in person. I still think it's a lot of money for a gift, especially for a friend, unless he's a friend, and even then it's a lot of money. Money aside, again my only concern about buying a guitar for someone is if they would find it comfortable.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues