Jason Ricci

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Re: Jason Ricci

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:40 pm

You can defend OB's right to his views-- and I would also to an extent-- but the manner in which his views were delivered is another matter. I belong to a United Methodist church, and there are plenty of people there who believe that the Apostle Paul's remarks about homosexuality being an abomination are a God-inspired prohibition of it. It's difficult to dissuade these people from their position without some kind of reasoned discourse concerning cultural mores of the time, and other pronouncements of Paul's concerning women, divorced people, etc.
There was no reasoned discourse in this thread though. Discussions about homosexuality, politics, and religion always get in the way of music.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:01 pm

too true bubba. which is maybe why i usually avoid getting involved in volatile topics like this.
i have gotten the same sort of kneejerk reactions from people i do business with on various topics, who had no interest in or tolerance of a different point of view than their own.
but i have to do business with them. so i have learned to let the extremism slide and focus on the business at hand.
fairly recent events on another forum which degraded into flame wars nearly caused that forum to dissolve. responsible moderation is usually the answer to this sort of issue. i am member of another forum which just doesn't allow discussion of topics involving religion or politics at all, and it's the warmest joint i know of.
i respect that people have varying opinions and backgrounds. the one thing i'm here for is to enrich my music life. if i see a thread going the direction this one went coming up again i know i have choices. i can just ignore the thread, i can read it and not respond, or i can always just stop visiting. after all, if it ain't fun, why hang out? and when you get down to it, this is all just words on the internet. it does not have any power except what we as individuals give it.
jbone1
Regular

Postby Bill Carson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:38 pm

jbone1 wrote:and when you get down to it, this is all just words on the internet. it does not have any power except what we as individuals give it.

I think this pretty well sums it up - Right? If you don't like what someone says, ignore it.
Bill Carson
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:34 pm

jbone1 wrote: part of me was amused at how far this went.

I don't read the harp section; I would have put the kibosh on this a month ago if I'd noticed. I only noticed this when someone hit the 'report' button on one of Ozark's posts.

jeffl wrote:You can defend OB's right to his views-- and I would also to an extent-- but the manner in which his views were delivered is another matter.

Indeed!

I dislike banning people, especially if it means silencing someone who disagrees with me. Ozark was the first to get nasty here, and he was banned due to his unpleasant writing in this thread, not the unpleasantness of his beliefs.

We've lost too many good people over the years tolerating unpleasant people, so, no more.

Thread is now locked. Anyone who wants to talk about Jason Ricci's music is welcome to open a new thread.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Blues Harp