real blues VS Fake blues?......

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: real blues VS Fake blues?......

Postby rustyslide » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:32 pm

A hole? There were seven us living in one parking spot with nothing but a sandwich board for shelter!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby DaveG » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Wait! Are you trying to tell me that the Blues Brothers weren't real blues musicians??? :wha:
DaveG
Regular

Postby Neal » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:45 pm

rustyslide wrote:A hole?

A hole. Everyone notices sooner or later. My life.

Blues? Got 'em. Can't play 'em. That's blues.
Neal
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:34 am

rustyslide wrote:A hole? There were seven us living in one parking spot with nothing but a sandwich board for shelter!

Royalty! Royalty! All we had for cover was a small piece of toilet paper. An' it were second hand!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JLHooker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 pm

A small piece of toilet paper beats a corn cob any time!
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 am

I think expecting black people to be dirt poor and suffering if you want them to play the REAL BLUES has got more than a touch of the aw lawdy missuhs about it. Which is to say it's a kind of white guilt thing, another version of the noble savage. I mean, yeah, a lot of blues singers grew up in conditions that most of us can't imagine. But a lot didn't. A lot fall in between. It's not a tale that's entirely without merit, there is a very strong case to make that poverty and social conditions were vitally important to the development of the music but to use that as your standard of the "real blues" is a bit like saying "nice forest but it's hidden behind all those damn trees".

Me, when judging the quality of a blues I listen to the music rather than looking at the bank balance.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Singemonkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:40 am

This foolish, racist kid raises a good point that I've been pondering. At what point does blues lack the something that made it appealing in the first place? Where I live, and in a lot of the vids of the blues players that everyone's raving about now, I see what I'd describe as "good-time music," - the blues as an excuse to jam, everyone nodding to one another, a whole lot of guest stars. There's this feeling of blues is like working on your car, or having a beer. It's a relaxing, blue-collar get-together kind of thing where you watch the musicians do fancy stuff and go, "yeah!" Pass the hotdogs.

Where the hell has the feeling gone? Is this really what people want from this music? That would explain why the audiences know all the bonnamassa a Stevie-Ray records, but have never heard Freddie King. Have never heard Bukka White. Don't know any Muddy Waters besides Hootchie-Cootchie Man. And I, unlike our clever tyke, am not claiming that black people have some inherent ability to play blues that white people lack (a curious piece of racism found a lot among musicians). Peter Green packed huge emotional wallop, as did Clapton's aggressive playing in the sixties.

So where is it now? Why is it now all about jammin'? I got hooked by the raw emotion of the blues. And I think other people would be too. So where do we find it today? That White Stripes example was apt. Jack White may not play squeaky clean and neat little slide runs, but the feeling is there. Is he the only one?
Singemonkey
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am

^^ I'm listening to Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters as I type. If Ronnie doesn't have depth of feeling in his playing than, goddammit, no-one has.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 am

Oh yeah, and the blues has always been good-time music.

jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Oh yeah, and the blues has always been good-time music.

How do you know they ain't dancin' to a Polka?
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:47 pm

"It's a relaxing, blue-collar get-together kind of thing where you watch the musicians do fancy stuff and go, "yeah!" Pass the hotdogs."

Sounds alright to me.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 pm

I grew up on the Westside of Madison, Wisconsin. I remember when my dad announced that we were going to have to use margarine on our lobster. ...'n' we got to the point where we had to land our family airplane at Gary, Indiana, on the way east, 'cuz they had cheap gas. I even forked over the pennies in my loafers to help pay for it. :)
Those experiences have fueled my harpin' to this day.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 pm

Singemonkey, I'm with you. I play first and foremost for fun. Lummo will tell you that I don't play "Pure Black Sharecropper" music, but I'm out there having fun. We see people at blues festivals here having fun, and if it's electrified, fine, the deaf bloke at the back can hear it. And Lummo electric's not taking prisoners either, I promise you.

To me, blues is a rough format that lets a person sing their own sort of song. If they want to hark back to an Ur state, fine, if they want to take it forwards and develop it so it isn't recognisable as a development of the the original, fine. I'm going to carry on playing happy stuff, sad stuff, whatever; and I think I'm unanimous in this, I'm not listening to negative opinions. I'm too far down my own road to change, too old to change and too damn stroppy to change.

Any questions?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:35 pm

"It's a relaxing, blue-collar get-together kind of thing where you watch the musicians do fancy stuff and go, "yeah!" Pass the hotdogs."

Sounds alright to me.

Actually, this is a pretty good definition of Live Music - except for maybe Classical, which is for WHITE collar get togethers and pass the Grey Poupon.

The other thing - the "what makes Son House so special" - is an inner thing. It's hidden between the musician and himself - and between the listener and THEMselves.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Singemonkey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am

I just don't hear much of what I like about the blues in these get togethers. You look at film of Fleetwood Mac playing in '69, and yes, white people are dancing around to it. P. Green is smiling, having a good time. But there's fierce intensity to it. To all of it - even when Jeremy Spencer's playing yet another Elmore James number, or they're singing, "I can't do my homework anymore." They're not just going through the motions. They feel this music and they want their audience to feel it too - and I sure do. It's not just a platform for them to have a jam. Danny Kirwan would freakin' weep as he played.

I'm not saying we all need to be that mentally disturbed, but I hate the emotional vacuousness of most of what I'm hearing. I hear F-all mojo workin', frankly.

edit: mentioning classical/orchestral - those folks are trained to extract every ounce of feeling - since there's no room for improvisation and precious few new compositions. But they get into the same trap that I think blues that I see is in when they start doing orchestral versions of Beatles hits, or "popular selections" from classical pieces.
Singemonkey
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues