testing out a marine band deluxe

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

testing out a marine band deluxe

Postby watertore » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:54 pm

I bought one of these and it came today. I like the way the delta frosts play but the tonal difference from the marine band sound led me to trying this harp out. I love both tones and the df plays a lot easier than the stock mb's. I say it compares to the playability of the delta frost and is louder and bit brighter than a stock marine band. Is it worth 30 bucks more???? For recording I say probably, but for giging I will stick to the cheaper harps. Here is a set I did with it today. the harp is in A. I am still struggling with the acoustics in my studio for mixing but think these came out ok. Walter

late night slow dancing
don't worry your life away
summertime teenage love
1 man band boogie
chicken scratching and popping reed on a harp
life was meant to be easy
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: testing out a marine band deluxe

Postby jeffl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Good to hear that harp of yours Walter! Nice clear tone. Pretty. Those are amazing little instruments, aren't they? Best wishes, Bro'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:39 pm

definitely has a good traditional tone and sound quality.i first thought"if you won that many bushman's ,why not stick with them"cause i like bushman.but after listening i get it.another case of different harps for different things as we've talked about lately.way to go walter.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks for checking out the sound clip. It definetely is worth owning, but not enough to bring it to gigs. For $50 it is just to expensive IMO. I started out with $5 marine bands. The current prices are enough to make me stagger and I feel if I bought a custom harp, I would be worrying about it going flat. The delta frosts play great but have a more raspy tone kind of like a semi amped tone naturally. The marine bands are much clearer toned. It is kind of like a fender vs. gibson guitar. Each has its own signature tone. The DF are more durable and louder than the MB. That is why I use them for gigs. I view harps as throw away instruments, kind of like guitar strings. To spend $180 for a marine band custom will only sit good with me if I win the lottery! Luckily I get my sound out with the stock ones and don't worry about them going flat while I play them. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fevbusch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Very entertaining Walter. You have a complete package there. Nice work on the MB. Freddy
fevbusch
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:15 pm

thanks fevbush! After 30 years of being mostly a harp/vocalist/guitarist the 1 man band thing has taken me over. I learned it as a teen from arguably one of the best 1 man bands of all time- wilbert harrison. It never really left me. I would do occasional 1 man band gig over the years but now that I am not playing full time keeping a top notch band is not an option. It is a good thing because I am totally self contained. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp