Howdy From Texas

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Howdy From Texas

Postby Stackabones » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Just checking in, y'all!

I've been playing for many years and currently gig in a solo git/vox setting doing playing a wide variety of music -- which of course includes the blues! I play electric and acoustic as well as ukulele and bass. I sing & also write some tunes. I've played harp in the past, but my chops are a little rusty.

I also teach guitar to around thirty students a week.

Favorite electric blues player is Billy Gibbons. Favorite acoustic blues player is Lightnin' Hopkins. Favorite singer is Howlin' Wolf. At least that's how it stands as I type. Tomorrow is another story.

I post often enough at Harmony Central under the same moniker -- so shout out if ya know me!
Stackabones
Regular

Re: Howdy From Texas

Postby hollywoodmark » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Interesting that Billy G is your choice for electric. I never paid much attention to his playing and then recently read a New York Times review of a ZZ show, in which the critic said he thought that Billy should probably share Clapton's mantle. I'll have to go back and re-listen.

Speaking of Les Paul champions, have you heard the newest Tom Petty CD? Can't stand his singing, but there sure is some pretty guitar playing there. Those old LPs are just amazing in the right hands.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby Stackabones » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Yeah, I got no problem admitting that Billy G is the man. 8)

So the new Petty is worth it, huh? I guess Mike Campbell's playing the LP? Just got me thinking that I need to get an LP. I started on a LP copy decades ago and I'd bet that it's the sound that I've been chasing.
Stackabones
Regular

Postby hollywoodmark » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Yup, Campbell all right. Funny thing is that I never thought twice about Petty et al till a jazz deejay here in SoFla featured this on his "blues spot." 'Most every song is blues-based. The credits are enough to cause dehyrdation among guitar heads from all the drooling--an amazing array of vintage guitars and amps are used and all are credited. You just don't hear this kind of sound from newer instruments, and these old farts know that (it's OK, I'm an OF as well).
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby Neal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to here.

A paradise where people don't argue about humidity issues or the excellent quality of Vietnamese bling guitars! :lol:

You'll like it, these guys are all music.
Neal
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Hey, Neal -- I thought that was you! :D Thanks for the welcome!

Where do I ask questions round here about the bling falling off my Vietnamese guitar due to humidity? It's ruining my mojo. :cry:
Stackabones
Regular

Postby Neal » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:39 am

Stackabones wrote:Hey, Neal -- I thought that was you! :D Thanks for the welcome!

Where do I ask questions round here about the bling falling off my Vietnamese guitar due to humidity? It's ruining my mojo. :cry:

You don't! That's the beauty, your mojo stays intact here.
Neal
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Welcome to the blues Billy G got a lotta nice stuff on a Tele and Fender Mustang too
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome, goldbrick.

Yeah, I don't think it matters what Billy G plays, just that he plays. 8)
Stackabones
Regular

Return to A Bit About You