Changing Perspective Because of Blues

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Changing Perspective Because of Blues

Postby Disciple » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 am

So I started out listening to the Beatles when I was under 10 during the 60's and progressed thru the typical stuff of the seventies all the way up to the Punk era and a little ways into the New Wave period that followed. Then pretty much started to loose interest in what was coming out of the recording studios. Ya there was some good music in every year I can think of but the real Renaissance was the Electric era concluding with the full turn around to basics and beat that raw Punk represented.

So it was then that I started digging backward, learning the blues, old country and the various genre's that followed the blues era but preceded full on Rock and Roll.

Here's what I just noticed the other day; Much of the music I love from my younger years has begun to take on a whole new life since my musical education thru the blues era and forward to the music I first noticed as a kid. I mean that tunes I had sort of lost interest in now hold new interest since I've made the foundational music a greater part of my regular listening.

I've often wondered if I would have been much less impressed with something like Led Zeppelin or Cream or the Stones had I heard all the Chicago stuff or the Delta stuff before hand.

I kind of think now that it would have made those first music experiences better rather than the other way around as I once thought.

Anyone got a similar or contrasting experience to offer to this thought?
Disciple
Regular

Re: Changing Perspective Because of Blues

Postby Stackabones » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:00 am

There's a possibility that you still would have appreciated LZ even had you known about the others. It's a great band. They did more than blues. Had you heard those Delta guys first, you may have just thought that it sounded like old guys. LZ and Cream and the Stones were bringing it to a younger generation -- and they still do!

While I respect the earlier stuff, I probably would have never discovered them unless LZ and hipped me to them. How esle was I gonna find out about Willie Dixon? Google him? :lol: :wink:
Stackabones
Regular

Re: Changing Perspective Because of Blues

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:21 pm

I've put it all in a new perspective as well.
Old man blues, I like Muddy Water's final recordings with Johnny Winter. Deep Down in Florida, charms me plenty, I can share the narrative the old man has.
As for the way those young men played, that's fine then and still fine today, I just ain't young anymore.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Return to Talking Blues