Herman E Johnson

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Herman E Johnson

Postby farmaz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm

I just found this guy on youtube, got a voice to match sonhouse IMO

He got some loose bottleneck skills too, I cant believe i never heard of this guy, if that tune i linked below is anything to go by I just found myself a new fred mcdowell or skip james, this tune makes my blood run cold.

Any info on his releases, LP/EP/live MP3's etc etc is gladly recived. Well anything to do with him I will be glad for tbh

I'm a-looking for my Baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-8Yn0Z ... ture=feedu
User avatar
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 am
Location: West Midlands, UK

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Nice stuff. You coming to Slidefest in Coventry?
User avatar
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby farmaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am

maxx england wrote:Nice stuff. You coming to Slidefest in Coventry?


you got any info on it please (slidefest)
Coventry is only a short train ride away from me & if its some slidefest I am there, just hope its all national steel slidework :wink:


you being serious about that being a good tune?........I had never heard the guy before & i played the video & was like WTF is this!

the guy can play, i love that sound the slide makes when it shakes on the strings, kinda sounds like 1 of those old cars you had to hand crank.
User avatar
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 am
Location: West Midlands, UK

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby farmaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:43 am

ow BTW Max England, i found this guy a few weeks ago & he plays a serious bottleneck

the gohst of blind willie johnson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uX74jx-Tsw

The riff he does from motherless children have a hard time is amazing, no singing just pure sldie work & he plays loose :wink:
User avatar
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 am
Location: West Midlands, UK

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby Ben Covington » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:30 am

farmaz wrote:I'm a-looking for my Baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-8Yn0Z ... ture=feedu
Try here for info on recordings http://www.wirz.de/music/johhefrm.htm

More can be found in the long out of print book Living Country Blues by Harry Oster about whom see

http://www.wirz.de/music/osterfrm.htm
Ben Covington
Regular
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Southern England

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby farmaz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Ben Covington wrote:
farmaz wrote:I'm a-looking for my Baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-8Yn0Z ... ture=feedu
Try here for info on recordings http://www.wirz.de/music/johhefrm.htm

More can be found in the long out of print book Living Country Blues by Harry Oster about whom see

http://www.wirz.de/music/osterfrm.htm


A huge thanks, it seems to me the deeper you look nito blues music you keep seeing a few names pop up every time. The loamx's are an example & also is this Harry Oster, as far as i know he was THE GUY who found another blues hero of mine Robert Pete Williams

Robert Pete Williams - Sinner don`t you know - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGBuUS1KPs

Scrap Iron blues & little documentry on robert pete williams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AdhY7XQ ... re=related

I have the Blue as a man can be LP recorded in "Angola prison" (sp?) the same place lead belly was locked up. This Harry oster wrote the album sleeve notes. From what i can gather about him, he was a kinda lomax person going from jail to jail trying to record original & old "rural blues" people before the style was swallowed up by rock & roll.


Thanks for that info btw, i'm just about to have a hunt through it :wink:
User avatar
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 am
Location: West Midlands, UK

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby Ben Covington » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 am

farmaz wrote:A huge thanks, it seems to me the deeper you look nito blues music you keep seeing a few names pop up every time. The loamx's are an example & also is this Harry Oster, as far as i know he was THE GUY who found another blues hero of mine Robert Pete Williams
I guess Oster's most notable 'discovery' was Snooks Eaglin who in mid 50s had recorded with Sugar Boy Crawford for Checker :

http://www.wirz.de/music/eaglfrm.htm
Ben Covington
Regular
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Southern England

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby farmaz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 am

Ben Covington wrote:
farmaz wrote:A huge thanks, it seems to me the deeper you look nito blues music you keep seeing a few names pop up every time. The loamx's are an example & also is this Harry Oster, as far as i know he was THE GUY who found another blues hero of mine Robert Pete Williams
I guess Oster's most notable 'discovery' was Snooks Eaglin who in mid 50s had recorded with Sugar Boy Crawford for Checker :

http://www.wirz.de/music/eaglfrm.htm



that guy was blind right?......i got him playing a 12 string on a CD if i got the name right.
User avatar
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 am
Location: West Midlands, UK

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby Ben Covington » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 am

farmaz wrote:[ that guy was blind right?......
Snooks Eaglin was, yes.

He recorded using both 6 and 12 string. He started his recording career using electric in mid 50s, turned to acoustic for Oster and in 1961 went back to electric.
Ben Covington
Regular
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Southern England

Re: Herman E Johnson

Postby rustyslide » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

farmaz wrote:
maxx england wrote:Nice stuff. You coming to Slidefest in Coventry?


you got any info on it please (slidefest)


http://www.facebook.com/Slidefest.UK.SlideGuitar.Festival

Looks like Maxx missed this.
User avatar
rustyslide
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 am
Location: Halifax, Canada


Return to Talking Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron