A blog on the blues

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

A blog on the blues

Postby DonnyK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:10 am

I've just wrote my first ever blog and wondered if anyone would care to read it, pass comment? It's about my journey to the blues from being a young adult to now. Contains a few musings also.

Blogs are kinda self indulgent and pompous by nature right? Although I feel it, hope it doesn't come across that way...

anyway, much obliged if anyone takes the time:

http://andyek81.blogspot.com/

Ta!
DonnyK
Regular

Re: A blog on the blues

Postby DonnyK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:37 pm

I've seen some people have linked from there to over there, so thanks!

On a similar note, was sat at my laptop this morning (I'm becoming all computer savvy - even got a twitter account!) and started to jam. Recorded it on my phone as I had fun with it. See what you think. It's definitely not cultured blues, probably more rock. And I'm not that good a slide player I don't think, but anyway, excuses aside, here's what noodling I came up with this morning:

DonnyK
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Nice blog. I always love reading how people discover the blues. Everyone's story is the same, but different, y'know? There's lots of stuff there where I can go "Me too!" and stuff that was unique to you as well.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:06 am

Song sounds good!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby DonnyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 am

thanks Jellyroll.

I've just re-read it and I was probably a bit hasty in publishing it. I started writing it last night, spent a few hours on it and published it in it's first draft. The ideas are there but it could be a whole lot more concise. I intend to keep writing blogs but am going to make sure that I let an idea gestate and give it it's full attention before putting it out there. The same could be said about that video ^^^ I was going to remove it but, if I'm perfectly honest, I need to leave it up. I generally find the faults in my playing a hell of a lot and don't 'put myself out there' as much as I should. It was a sketch of what could become a song and that's the level of my noodling. A whole lot of people are a whole better, but I need to accept where I'm at and be happy with it.

Ok, so catharsis aside, Thankyou for reading my blog, and you're totally right. I think there are generally a few things in common with most bluesmen, if not musicians in general. Most of those orient around a female.

Did I get the girl in question? No. Not only that, but I went one better and taught her how to play guitar, making her even more attractive to me whilst at the same time getting nowhere with her...

It's a wonder I oriented towards the blues... 8)
DonnyK
Regular

Postby DonnyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 am

rustyslide wrote:Song sounds good!

Thankyou!

(doubly so, in light of my reply to jelly below)

I don't think I let it breathe enough. I did a slightly slower version emphasising the slide notes a whole lot more. Then I started jamming with the idea of a bit of a solo and everything got faster and spaces got filled and it all became a cluttered. The two versions were VERY similar, don't get me wrong, but I just got carried away with the version up there. Rushed through it a bit. To try to look good no doubt!

Thanks again though
DonnyK
Regular

Return to Talking Blues