Jason Ricci

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Re: Jason Ricci

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 pm

I've always tended to opt on the side of the music. I haven't even tended to let negative lyrics keep me from a band or entertainer if I like the music.
There've been plenty of people whose life views didn't coincide with mine that I've continued to listen to and buy CDs from. I know there's plenty of people who don't feel that way. Alot of 'em go to my church and they're entitled to their opinions.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey, whatever...everyone is free to have their own opinion.
Personally, I don't like looking at satanic symbols on a music web page, and I choose NOT
to support an artist who is into garbage like this. Your mileage may vary.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:30 pm

OB, you're using the best weapon you have when you choose not to do business with people for idealogical reasons. I've just never had the discipline to apply that ethic to my listening habits in most situations, partly due to the fact that there's alot of musicians whose life styles are diametrically opposed to mine and I still want to listen to their music.For example,I wouldn't use heroin, but I've listened to plenty of musicians who would.
I know alot of Christians who don't listen to any popular music. I hardly listen to any Christian music even though my faith dictates many of my lifestyle choices.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 pm

ever listen to the Red Devils with Lester Butler? he was into some of that stuff too. does it subtract from what he brought to the blues/rock world? i think not. what DOES subtract is the fact of his addiction and death from an overdose, due to the neglect of his junkie "friends".
if you don't care for ANY artist, why then give that artist more exposure and attention?

ever heard this- "bad press is GOOD press"????
jbone1
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Quite a few great Blues (and other) artists were murderers who served prison time. That doesn't stop me from enjoying their music.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:11 pm

dcblues wrote:Quite a few great Blues (and other) artists were murderers who served prison time. That doesn't stop me from enjoying their music.

Here's the thing...EVERYONE is more than welcome to have their OWN OPINION on this...
Serving prison time is not on the same level as far as worshipping satan in my book. Everyone makes mistakes.
What I post here is strictly MY OPINION. I choose NOT to listen to or support satan worshippers.
It's as simple as that. And no, I've never heard of this guy from the red devils.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby bottleneck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:17 pm

see,if someone worshipped satan it wouldn't really bother me any more than believing in santa clause,because i'm not christian,haha.(although i understand the idea that christians think of santa as good and satan as bad)but everybody is entitled to their opinion as you say.i'm not trying to flame or offend anyone.

but anyway,you should check out lester butler.he's kind of the opposite of jason ricci.nothing fancy or over the top ,just good old fashioned juke joint harp.sort of like a relaxed kim wilson.worth checking out.

anyway,i still think jason ricci is hilarious,and good for the advancement of the instrument.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:15 pm

bottleneck wrote:see,if someone worshipped satan it wouldn't really bother me any more than believing in santa clause,because i'm not christian,haha.(although i understand the idea that christians think of santa as good and satan as bad)but everybody is entitled to their opinion as you say.i'm not trying to flame or offend anyone.but anyway,you should check out lester butler.he's kind of the opposite of jason ricci.nothing fancy or over the top ,just good old fashioned juke joint harp.sort of like a relaxed kim wilson.worth checking out.
anyway,i still think jason ricci is hilarious,and good for the advancement of the instrument.

It's a free country. You can listen to ANYONE you choose no matter what beliefs they PROMOTE.
I choose not to listen to someone who promotes satanism. And No, I don't really put santa and satan on the same belief level. If you choose to, that's fine. Thanks but no thanks on any band called the red devils. Too many other great players out there.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby bottleneck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:34 am

well at least we can all agree on buddy greene then.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:54 pm

From my understanding Jason identifies with the religion/belief of Thelema, a belief which is most certainly not Satanism. Put simply Thelema is about using meditation and esoteric practices to discover your true goal in life and then following it to the utmost. Sort of like Oprah only with more dressing up in robes and chanting.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:From my understanding Jason identifies with the religion/belief of Thelema, a belief which is most certainly not Satanism. Put simply Thelema is about using meditation and esoteric practices to discover your true goal in life and then following it to the utmost. Sort of like Oprah only with more dressing up in robes and chanting.

I don't really care. A pentagram is an occultic satanic symbol.
end of story.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Ozark Bluesman wrote:I don't really care. A pentagram is an occultic satanic symbol.
end of story.

Hey, if you don't wanna discuss you don't wanna discuss. There have been plenty of non-occult uses of the pentagram throughout history and the specific "Leviathan" pentagram on the site you linked actually has quite an interesting history and has been used in many different ways.

But, hey, if you've decided to believe what you want to believe don't let reality get in the way.

PS: I hope for your sake you don't own any Graham Bond records. Just sayin'.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:11 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:Hey, if you don't wanna discuss you don't wanna discuss. There have been plenty of non-occult uses of the pentagram throughout history and the specific "Leviathan" pentagram on the site you linked actually has quite an interesting history and has been used in many different ways.
But, hey, if you've decided to believe what you want to believe don't let reality get in the way.
PS: I hope for your sake you don't own any Graham Bond records. Just sayin'.

Here's the deal... You believe whatever you wanna believe and listen to whoever you wanna listen to.
Just don't try to push your beliefs on me and I'll do the same for you. Snide remarks are also un-necessary.
This discussion is over.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 pm

My beliefs? I'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone. Serious. I don't share Jason's beliefs. I just reckon that people who aren't devil worshipers probably don't like being called devil worshipers and I tried to explain what Jason's beliefs are based on what I know about them.

If you are actually interested in learning about Jason's spiritual beliefs there's a great Podcast floating around online where he goes into quite deep, honest detail about his history with Buddhism, Thelema etc and even talks about the misconceptions it causes.

Again, for the record, Thelema is NOT Satanism or devil worship or anything like that. It could be described as "occult" but probably not the occult you're thinking of. Use wikipedia if you want to know more.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:31 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:My beliefs? I'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone. Serious. I don't share Jason's beliefs. I just reckon that people who aren't devil worshipers probably don't like being called devil worshipers and I tried to explain what Jason's beliefs are based on what I know about them.
If you are actually interested in learning about Jason's spiritual beliefs there's a great Podcast floating around online where he goes into quite deep, honest detail about his history with Buddhism, Thelema etc and even talks about the misconceptions it causes.
Again, for the record, Thelema is NOT Satanism or devil worship or anything like that. It could be described as "occult" but probably not the occult you're thinking of. Use wikipedia if you want to know more.

Listen closely (take notes if you need to) I couldn't give less than 2 shits what you or him believe in.
He has a pentagram on his web page which is an occultic symbol. THAT'S ENOUGH for me.
Are you seriously dense enough to NOT understand what I've said? ENOUGH already.
Ozark Bluesman

PreviousNext

Return to Blues Harp