Jason Ricci

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Jason Ricci

Postby ardvarkblues » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:21 pm

I know hes probably come up here a thousand times, but I can't find any search function on this forum! At any rate I think he deserves his own post. What are your guys' opinions on him? I tried to get my friend's dad to listen to him, but he didn't like the way he dresses, called him a fag, etc. Does it really matter that much that hes gay? Or that hes into cult stuff? So what!
ardvarkblues
Regular

Re: Jason Ricci

Postby jeffl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 pm

I've heard him play and spent a little time chatting with him. He's a nice kid and he's got a healthy respect for the great harpers who preceded him, and the other blues musicians he sits in with. He's got serious chops and knows his way around the scales. He's a product of the times: he tends to play ALOT of notes, but unlike many of "kazillion note" players, hardly any of them are mindless passing notes. He's organized. My only real beef on him (and I haven't listened to him alot) is that he doesn't make good use of volume dynamics. But overall- I think he's great and I respect his playing and his attitude.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 pm

let me tackle the question about if it matters whether he is gay or not.NO!why would that matter to me?i'm pretty sure he's happy with his current boyfriend and isn't coming after me,haha.but seriously his sexual preference shouldn't matter.

i like his clothing and hair style and his sense of humor is outstanding.i think he is really funny.

he has posted here,and that is another thing i like about him:he's down to earth and not aloof at all.he is genuinely interested in harp and the advancement of it.he posts youtube lessons every body could learn from if you were interested in that style.

even though it is not quite the style i like,i think his playing is very interesting ,bordering on great.he is certainly the best of the known speed and overblow modern guys that i know of.my hat is off to him.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:27 pm

People are willing to accept performers who are bisexual and gay, even if heterosexuality is their mantra. The arts community has always been populated by by a high percentage of those two groups. There's tons of examples. We've always tolerated drug and alcohol abuse, and sexual preference isn't even in that category, imo. I think you hit on the point... Jason doesn't look like most of us. His look is part of the interest.. much like David Bowie, Elton John, Iggy Pop... even Hendrix, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, etc. Jason represents the instrument well; he just doesn't look and play like James Cotton.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby too2tall » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm

I think Jason is a very gifted harmonica player. His chops are outstanding and he can do things with a harmonica that are incredible. While he his performances are virtuoso and technically brilliant I think sometimes his playing is too busy and doesn't take advantage of the often overlooked pause or riding a sweet note because it sounds so good. The late great Gary Primich said it best "Just because you can play fast doesn't mean you should".
My concern is for Jason's health. I look at his video's from 2 years ago compared to now and wonder if he is taking care of himself. The road is a hard and brutal as well as exhilarating, and often takes its toll on ones soul and body. Hoping he will come out the other side and be more enlightened for it.
too2tall
Regular

Postby TNFrank » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Doesn't matter to me if he's Gay or not, none of my business but he is an awesome harp player. He does things that leaves me thinking "How the hell did he do that?" really great harp player, seems to be a pretty cool guy from the YouTube vids of him I've seen. Without actually knowing him I can say that I like him pretty well and would hang out with him if I got the chance.
TNFrank
Regular

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Jason is currently residing in NOLA and from what I hear, has gone thru somewhat of a spiritual transformation this past year. It seems he has given up his touring band, and is playing only with local bands there. Getting "back to basics" as it seems. But yeah, whether he's gay or not, he has mind blowing talent on the harp. I wish him the best as he finds his new groove in life.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:35 am

I'm with you on yer sentiments Oz Bluesman. I think the young man drove himself very hard in many ways (which you gotta do while you CAN) and prob'ly pushed his body past what he shoulda, but he blessed alotta people along the way and now he's doin' the practical thing. We'll see what comes out of it. He doesn't owe us anything.

I've heard him play "live", and he wuz tradin' licks, head-cuttin' style, with Walter Trout on guitar. Nearly any time I've heard even one guy playin' that many notes I thought it was a bunch of jerkin' off, but somehow those two guys made sense of it all ( partially a tribute to Trout's backing band) I've said it before.. Jason thinks about the notes he plays and he plays a ton of 'em.

If he thinks that much about life in general, I'm confident that he'll live consistently with his values.

I'm a 59 yr. old guy who cut his teeth playin' keyboards on Yardbirds & Kinks tunes in the 60's. I teach Sunday School, and look tired and soft. I'm the missing link between a musican and a Shar Pei dog. Harp playin' is prob'ly the one thing I do that people love, and after about 45 years of doin' it pretty well, I still don't do it as wonderfully as that goofy lookin' kid.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Did you guys see the video where he dresses in drag And sits in with a friends band?OMG
that is so funny thAt I had to pause it because I was lAughing so hard!!
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 pm

bottleneck wrote:Did you guys see the video where he dresses in drag And sits in with a friends band?OMB,
that is so funny thAt I had to pause it because I was lAughing so hard!!

Well...he is gay.
Not that it takes away from his talent in any way.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:18 am

He's not only gay, but now it appears he's also into the occult, satanism, whatever. I recently looked at his web page and there's a huge pentagram on there. Whatever works for him...
I don't have to go to go Mr. Ricci's web page, listen to his music, go to his shows, or buy his CD's, and in the future, I won't. I'm quite sure Mr. Ricci doesn’t need my money or support, and could care less about insulting one individual by promoting his twisted interests.
Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong.
Ozark Bluesman

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:39 pm

OB, I couldn't find the pentagram; that's too bad if he's into that, imo, but I guess I would contact him directly to find out.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 pm

jeffl wrote:OB, I couldn't find the pentagram; that's too bad if he's into that, imo, but I guess I would contact him directly to find out.

It's right here...

http://www.jasonriccirocks.com/news.html
Ozark Bluesman

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Some "Nawlins" influence huh...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Satanism? Occult? Really? I feel like I'm reliving the 80s with Tipper Gore campaign against rock and heavy metal!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp