New/Old Glass

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New/Old Glass

Postby texas blues » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:34 pm

WOW! I helped out a good friend of mine a while back and he sent me a care package in appreciation. I got 2 NOS Brimar 12ax7's, a quad of NOS RCA blackplate gray glass 6v6's, an NOS RCA 5Y3 and a quad of early 80's JAN Philips 12ax7's. I'm floored. I already have NOS rectifiers (RCA also) in my Clark tweeds but am excited to pop some old glass in those amps.

Boom shaka laka...
texas blues
Regular

Re: New/Old Glass

Postby maxx england » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Lawdy lawdy lawdy! We gwine raise some steam tonite!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:41 pm

A good friend indeed!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Those Brimars are the shit! I put one in my Valve Junior and it turned the amp into another monster. I'd love to retube my Classic 50 with all Brimars, but that's a fat chunk of change.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm

I have a road trip to Texas this week but when I get back I'll post a vid with the tubbage.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 pm

I look forward to it!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 pm

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet,you've gotta love NOS tubes.i bet those joint army navies sound killer!!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:04 am

Just back from Texas day before yesterday and tonight I swapped out a Sovtek12ax7 for the Brimar.
The Sovtek sounded pretty good in my 5f1 champ but have mercy! At first I didn't notice much difference
but as I started to dig in...the NOS Brimar was more bell like and noticeably smoother. I should mention that I have gotten some good note bloom from the amp and guitar with the Sovteks. I think a smidge more with the Brimar. I never thought the Sovtek
was ice picky but the Brimar just sounds so much more rounded. I pulled the Brimar and went back to the Sovtek just to
compare. Back to the Brimar again. There is a definite difference and the Brimar is hands down a better tube. All the freq's just sound smoother. The bass freq's seem about the same as the Sovtek's. Not exactly tight but not flubby in the least. I'm digging this tube. I purposely waited on trying this tube in the Clark so as to get over the "whoa..NOS" factor and eliminate as much bias as
I could and really hear what was going on. I reckon I did just fine. Now I'll compare to new Tung Sol and see how the Brimar stacks up, but I gotta' say... I'm lovin' what I hear so far.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Those Brimars are nice. I'd like to find a NOS Brimar 12AT7 for my Valve Junior.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues