what harp?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

what harp?

Postby Django3 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi"Yall
I would like to try and play cross harp on say E minor tuned guitar , what harp is it? A minor?
or do minor chords have a different set up than major keys?.
Django3
Regular

Re: what harp?

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:26 pm

The easiest thing to do might be to buy a Lee Oskar E minor natural harp. They're set up to play the key noted on the harp in crossharp position. You can find a very helpful chart at www.leeoskar.com/nminor.html
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby HenrySlim » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Minor-tuned harps are nice but it's more useful (and cost-effective) in the long run to learn to play in 3rd position. To play in E minor you need a D harp, and your tonic notes are the 1, 4 & 8 draw.
Give it a go. : )
HenrySlim
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:59 am

very true, 3rd is great for minor songs. what's even better is a low D harp in 3rd. i find myself using a low F in G 3rd a lot, a G is very nice for A minor, and a baritone C chromatic is great for D minor. the beauty of a chromatic in 3rd, esp a low register, is all the great sounding runs one can do from bottom to top.
Last edited by jbone1 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:20 pm

I based my recommendation on the word "crossharp" in his post. Maybe I've mistakenly assumed that to mean 2nd position, vs. other positions, all these years; I'm kind of old, so maybe I've hung on to an outdated use of the term.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby HenrySlim » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:33 pm

heheh no, right you are, jeff.
Admittedly I tactfully ignored the 'crossharp' part to push my 3rd position agenda. ; )
HenrySlim
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

HenrySlim wrote:heheh no, right you are, jeff.
Admittedly I tactfully ignored the 'crossharp' part to push my 3rd position agenda. ; )

One of the tougher things to determine in some of these posts is what level of player the question is coming from. I assumed in this case that the player wasn't familiar with 3rd position playing because of the fundamental nature of the question. But I could be wrong. I've assumed wrongly in both directions on this forum previously.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Django3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:08 am

Hi Y"All
Hi and thanks for your kind and helpful suggestions . most of my vocabulary is composed of a great number of DUHs with the harp, but I will try your suggestions.
thanks again.
jim
Django3
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:06 pm

CROSS harp has always been refereed to as 2nd position. 3rd i have always seen referred to as SLANT harp.
jbone1
Regular

Postby el guapo loco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:36 pm

One of the great things about learning to play in 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions is when the IV or V chord comes around and you are playing in 2nd position you can switch positions to match that chord.

So if you are in 2nd position on an A harp you are playing the notes most closely associated with an E chord. Switch to 1st position and you have the IV chord or A, 3rd position V chord or B. Most intermediate players do this to a degree, but once you master this you will sound like you really know what you are doing.

Check out this video of Big Walter. In the begining he kicks it off with a 12 bar boogie woogie and he switches positions to get the runs over the chords. This is a great way to get those high end 1st position worked into your 2nd position playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgQnDJf7XQ
el guapo loco
Regular

Return to Blues Harp