bottleneck slides for small hands

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

bottleneck slides for small hands

Postby rabbit » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:28 pm

I am just a beginner and am trying to find a small bottleneck that will fit my small hands. Any advice on all the different types of slides out there would be appreciated. :?
rabbit
Regular

Re: bottleneck slides for small hands

Postby rustyslide » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Look for the 'internal diameter' specification. Dunlop, for example, makes a relatively hefty little pyrex slide. I'd link to it, but it looks like they redid their site and removed a lot of useful information.

The basic idea is to find the heaviest one that fits snuggly on your pinky (or, if you're a miscreant, any other finger) that you can comfortably carry at the end of your arm. If you can't find a slide that's snug enough, you can always support it with your ring finger.

Don't buy one of those tiny tinny featherweight pyrex slides, even if it's the best fit.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby jayseibert » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:56 pm

There are quite a few slide choices for those with small fingers... and Paloma Stone Slides offers a 16 mm and 18 mm slide that seems to suit quite a few folks with small hands/fingers. These are made from high-fire stoneware clay. Available in short and long lengths, and two glaze colors, Paloma slides yield great tone and sustain and are available nationally from Sam Ash Music, Elderly Instruments and directly from me... I make them by hand! Good luck in your search! Welcome to the Forum and the world of slide guitar... :D
jayseibert
Regular

Postby Neal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:28 pm

A thumbs up on the Paloma. Find your ring size, should be loose enough to move a little inside, yet snug enough not to fall off your finger when you hang your finger. Length, just over or under the tip of your chosen finger should be comfortable.
Neal
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Find a suitable socket wrench--they will have your ring size I use a deep 16mm--couple of bucks at loews :lol:
goldbrick
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Where in the world are you, Rabbit? Might even be one of the boys is close by you, and you could meet and learn a bit.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:25 am

rustyslide wrote:Don't buy one of those tiny tinny featherweight pyrex slides, even if it's the best fit.

+1. My first slide was a dinky pyrex slide. I'm glad I lost it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:02 pm

a shower neck or brass nipple from a DIY home center can have a small diameter.go to home depot,stick your finger in things then cut them off,haha.they would also have sockets to try.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues