CD-R CD-RW CD-?? (DVD TOO)

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

CD-R CD-RW CD-?? (DVD TOO)

Postby Les Again » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 am

I remember someone on another forum complaining that a music CD he bought was of a certain type (CD-R, CD-RW, I forget) and the implication was a quality defect, that he had expected a commercially produced music CD to be of a certain CD type and it was another type instead.

Can anyone explain why it matters?

Is there a corresponding situation with different types of DVDs ?

Reason I ask,
not just to be a better informed CD/DVD purchaser,
but also if I ever produce a music disc for sale, I don't want the purchaser to turn up their nose at the type of CD used.

THANKS
Les Again
Regular

Re: CD-R CD-RW CD-?? (DVD TOO)

Postby rustyslide » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:01 pm

CD/DVDs you buy to consume (watch, listen to, not eat) should be pressed at a factory. The material that stores the information is sandwiched between two layers of plastic. The non-business side should have a quality label printed on it.

CD/DVDs that you buy to burn yourself have the information stored on the foil layer on one side of the plastic. This foil is easy to damage. Labels are typically big stickers that would cause a stranger to say "My six year old could do better than that!".

If you buy something expecting the former and get the latter, it will be less durable, look cheap, and is probably bootlegged.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Re: CD-R CD-RW CD-?? (DVD TOO)

Postby Les Again » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks for the info.

I have also since learned that slower speed burning makes for better quality CDs, maybe just that they have a longer usable life span or are less vulnerable to smudging or scratching?

So if I ever offer a burnt CD or DVD for sale, I will charge only maybe $5 and clearly label them as home-burnt, and state the speed (which will likely be 1x if it's true slower is better).
Les Again
Regular

Return to Recording