Tooth Extraction and Harp Playing.

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Tooth Extraction and Harp Playing.

Postby jbone1 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:54 pm

i had 2 teeth out yesterday. supposed to maybe play at a jam tomorrow night and sit in either friday or saturday night with some guys. i've done this before. keep some packing in and be careful.
the future holds a couple of clip-in dental appliances for me. which the dentist assures me will stay in nice and snug so i can blow harp and sing.

anyone else had this sort of adventure?
jbone1
Regular

Re: Tooth Extraction and Harp Playing.

Postby jeffl » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 am

Best wishes jbone. Do you use the tongue blocking or lip pursing method...? :)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:57 pm

I had a molar pulled a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday and had rehearsal on Thursday. I didn't play harp then but did play on Sunday. No problems but maybe a wetter mouth than usual.

Better than the damn toothache for sure.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 pm

i block and purse both.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:44 pm

so i got up and sat in on 3 songs at a jam last evening. no probs at all with the empty tooth sockets. didn't even hurt! in fact the only pain i've had in a day or so has been where they injected the painkiller deep into the hinge of my jaw. big needle.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 am

so friday i sat in on 2 sets with some guys. last night and most of today i've had some nagging ache in the area. tomorrow it's back to the dentist so he can take a look and see if anything needs to be done at this point. painkillers are nice but i drive for a living.
jbone1
Regular

Postby butlersdog » Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 am

Nice info here. I think that you might need some good harp lessons in order to really get things well for your needs. And as for the tooth extraction, that is a bad thing to have, but I hope that it was an experience all throughout.
butlersdog
Regular

Postby wolfkristiansen » Sat May 14, 2011 5:43 am

Hi jbone-- we've talked in other forums. My overwhelming thought, as I read your message, was... my god, are we blues freaks that old, that we're talking about missing teeth, etc., instead of getting drunk and chasing women? Bummer.

More to the point-- I lost a front tooth two years ago, went without it for a year, then got it replaced. It did make a difference in my playing; getting it back improved things. I'm a lip purser, mostly, and need that ridge of teeth in front, especially for tongue/teeth articulation.

And yes, I'm that old, but I play like a 25 year old.

Cheers,

wolf kristiansen
wolfkristiansen
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:10 pm

hey wolf, good to see you!
yes, it was time for me to begin saving what i have and replacing what can't be saved. with luck we get that old!

that original post was just after i had a molar or 2 pulled. the pain as it turns out was fragments of the pulled teeth working their way through my gums on their way out, which took a few weeks and is normal with extractions.
since then i also had 2 front teeth extracted, one on either side of my very front teeth on top. i didn't attempt to play for a few days after this, but i have a temp bridge to replace them until i get more work done and get permanent bridgework done. what i found though, is that it has had no big impact on my playing, i have adapted to the slightly different structure in my mouth. for a while i was lisping my "s"es until my tongue adapted as well, to speaking and singing.
i also had crowns placed on my center two top teeth as well.

hindsight is, as they say, 20/20. i've had time to regret not taking better care of my teeth for a lot of years, and the end result is, i have to deal with the trouble and expense now to keep what i have and replace what has to come out.

as for harp playing and singing, i have adapted and should continue to do so with the next changes to come about.
jbone1
Regular

Return to Blues Harp